Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoaoN
Helper IV
Helper IV

License to all user?

Hello.
Here is my scenario. I am developing some App to my small business. I have 2 employees that will use the app.
I am looking to buy the Microsoft Business Basic Plan and there is my question.

If my 2 employees (maybe 2 more if i need),
Does I have buy 1 Microsoft Business Basic Plan for each employee to use the App, or one Microsoft Business Basic Plan can be "shared" with them to use PowerApps as users only?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, each user will need a Microsoft 365 plan if you store the information in SharePoint. The reference to the 300 users is the limit for that Business plan license.  Each user must have a license, but you can't use that type of license for a company with more than 300 users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

A developer can either use a trial plan (good for 30 days) or signup for a community plan (Power Apps Community Plan -- a free development environment for individual use - Power Apps | Micros...).  But anything the developer produces will require the users to have M365 licenses in order to run the app.  

I would also suggest that a developer who doesn't already have access to a Power Apps environment probably doesn't know the product and wouldn't be very good at developing anything useful.  If you have a volunteer who wants to learn Power Apps, the community plan is a good way to start.  But don't pay a developer who build something if they don't have access to the tools.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

As long as you are just the developer and not a user also.  After developing the app under the community plan you'll need to export it and import it into the regular tenant's environment.  Anyone who runs it from there will need a license.  The Community plan has its own environment that is limited to a single user.

10 REPLIES 10
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no "shared" licensing for Power Apps.  The licensing you will need depends on where the data is stored that you will be using in the app.  If its in SharePoint or OneDrive then each user will need a Microsoft 365 plan.  If its in Sql or Dataverse (formerly known as CDS) then everyone will need either a per apps license (one per app covers one user for up to two related apps) or a per user license (covers one user for an unlimited number of apps).

@Pstork1I will Storage my data in Sharepoint. Will all user need a Microsoft 365 Plan?? It was not clear to me. I thought that one Microsoft 365 Plan was for up to 300 employee.
Sorry about this kind of question but I did not found it clear on MS docs and MS sellers are not answering me.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, each user will need a Microsoft 365 plan if you store the information in SharePoint. The reference to the 300 users is the limit for that Business plan license.  Each user must have a license, but you can't use that type of license for a company with more than 300 users.

JoaoN
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Pstork1Do you know if there is a way to the developer have Powerapps studio without having to pay the Microsoft 365 Plan?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

A developer can either use a trial plan (good for 30 days) or signup for a community plan (Power Apps Community Plan -- a free development environment for individual use - Power Apps | Micros...).  But anything the developer produces will require the users to have M365 licenses in order to run the app.  

I would also suggest that a developer who doesn't already have access to a Power Apps environment probably doesn't know the product and wouldn't be very good at developing anything useful.  If you have a volunteer who wants to learn Power Apps, the community plan is a good way to start.  But don't pay a developer who build something if they don't have access to the tools.

JoaoN
Helper IV
Helper IV

I am the developer ehehe (learning more PowerApps every day). I am an enthusiastic in P.A. The thing is that for my company (very small company) the cost per month is significant and I am trying to reduce it (exchange rate from Dollar to Brazilian currency is about 5,6 times today). I am trying to find the cheapest solution to my case.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I would recommend the community plan then.  Its a great place to learn how it works and what's available. If you have additional questions about licensing let me know.

JoaoN
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Pstork1So I can use the community plan to develop the apps and pay for Microsoft 365 to the users?

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

As long as you are just the developer and not a user also.  After developing the app under the community plan you'll need to export it and import it into the regular tenant's environment.  Anyone who runs it from there will need a license.  The Community plan has its own environment that is limited to a single user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,133)