cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milkatron
Helper I
Helper I

Licensing Query

I have a Microsoft 365 Business Basic subscription and it seems I need to add users to the onmicrosoft account associated with that in able to invite them to my PowerApps app. Do I also need to purchase PowerApp user licenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Microsoft 365 licenses include Power Apps for use with standard connectors like SharePoint.  So adding users to those licenses is sufficient.  A trial would only be needed if you were using Premium features like Dataverse, SQL or the on-premises data gateway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Any user needs a license to use a Power Apps App.  It can be a license from your tenant or from their own.  But yes, they will need a license.  Share a canvas app with guest users (contains video) - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

Thank You for responding. The app I have designed is for people within my own business so I am not sure Azure AD is suitable in this scenario?

When I add users to my Microsoft 365 Apps for Business onmicrosoft account so they can gain access to the app, this reduces my Microsoft 365 Apps for Business licenses. Is this a different license to PowerApps?

Milkatron_0-1641245423018.png

I seem to have access now, but I'm not sure if it's a trial or not.

Microsoft 365 licenses include Power Apps for use with standard connectors like SharePoint.  So adding users to those licenses is sufficient.  A trial would only be needed if you were using Premium features like Dataverse, SQL or the on-premises data gateway.

Fantastic, Thank You!
I will try assigning the next license and hopefully I don't get the same problems. I'm not sure what was happening - it was saying I needed a license despite having issued one and I was second guessing myself. After a few hours it started working, so perhaps the license just needed some time to propagate.

Hi There,

Regretfully it's still asking for a license for the other user and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I think the first user only has access because they are on a trial.

To recap: 

I am not using premium connectors.
I have 'assigned product licenses' via Microsoft 365 Apps for Business to my users and they have a onmicrosoft email / account. I assume this is the same thing as onmicrosoft tenancy?
When they attempt to access the app, it says:
"Power Apps license required
You need a current plan or trial to use Power Apps."
I thought assigning them a license through Apps for Business was enough?!

Are they logging in to Power Apps using the onMicrosoft.com address?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (2,454)