cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Licensing Question for 50,000+ External Users

My organization is looking to build a canvas app to provide to customers on a subscription basis. There is the potential for over 50,000 non-tenant users needing to have access to the app. From a licensing and administration perspective, would this mean we’d have to purchase 50,000 per apps licenses and assign them to each guest, or is there a better/more affordable way?

As an add-on, can Per Apps licenses be assigned to an Azure AD group and still cover external access? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

External users must have a license, but it can be either a license you provide them or one they already have through their own Microsoft 365 tenant.  So if you assume all your external users don't have an existing license then you would need to provide 50,000 per app licenses at a retail cost of $10 per app per month per user.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

@Pstork1, thanks for the response. To be clear, in the event that the users are covered by Power Apps for Office 365 licenses via E3/E5 or F3 licensing in their own tenants, would this mean I could share with all 50,000 and not need to provision licenses in my tenant? Assuming, of course, only 365-compatible connectors are used (e.g., SharePoint)?

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Yes, you would still need to provision AAD accounts for them as external users, but you would not need to assign them a Power Apps license as long as they have one in their own tenant. Take a look at the following:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/share-canvas-apps-with-guests-in-your-organization/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,320)