cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
byrnep
Helper III
Helper III

Licensing needs for Solutions with standard connectors (no premium anything)

Will using a solution (export work to move between environments, changing ownership), which needs to have a dataverse in the environment mean:

All users of Apps, Automated flows etc, will need to be owned/run by a user or group with a Premium license, even if no premium connectors or anything else requiring a premium license is included in the solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'll take a look at the other post.  You may need premium licensing for the people working with the pipeline.  And as I said, you'll need some premium licensing to get capacity to make other environments.  But that shouldn't have any effect on the license requirements for the apps themselves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Microsoft uses Dataverse for a lot of behind the scenes administrative details in Power Apps.  That does not mean that everyone using an app needs a Premium license.  For example, any app that makes use of Approvals stores information in Dataverse since that is where approvals are stored.  But Approvals is still a standard license.  The only time you would need a premium license is if you want to look at the raw Dataverse data for an Approval.  The same is true of solutions.  You do not need a Premium license to work with an app in a solution.  But in general if you have no premium licenses you won't have enough capacity to create any extra environments anyway.  So you will probably need a premium license to create additional environments.  But you don't need a premium license to administer them, nor do your users need premium licenses to run apps that only use standard connectors just because they are in a solution.

We have plenty of space to provision new environments.

Where this is coming from is there is a Canvas app using flows, with no premium, that we want to promote out of Default, and move to a better support model using ALM via pipelines.  Pipelines only allow solutions for export and import, and we weren't sure what the licensing impact was when moving the project to solutions so the pipelines would work.

Also, want to move to solutions so we can change the ownership, however we've also got questions about how that licensing works. @Pstork1 if you'd be able to take a look at this thread as well that would be appreciated. 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Governance-and/Ownership-differences-for-apps-and-flo...

I'll take a look at the other post.  You may need premium licensing for the people working with the pipeline.  And as I said, you'll need some premium licensing to get capacity to make other environments.  But that shouldn't have any effect on the license requirements for the apps themselves.

@Pstork1 One more! 🙂

I have noticed the helpful 'License Designation' in the details of an App.  

byrnep_0-1652812283423.png

Does this include the licensing for any flows the App may be using?  And is there an equivalent for Power Automate Flows that at a glance will show you the same kind of 'License designation'? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,636)