cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitjadhav123
Helper IV
Helper IV

Licensing question on Per app plan

Hello, I am looking at this license guide and, have few question on 'Per App Plan'

It says "Best for businesses that want to license each user to run one app at a time, with the flexibility to stack licenses for each additional app."

Question 1:

Let's assume we buy 300 'Per App Plan' licenses and, we have total 3000 employees. At any point in time only 300 users can access this app or, in other words only 300 concurrent users are supported to use this app?

If yes, then if  301th user wants to use the app then one of the user from initial 300 pool has to close the session?

Question 2: Do we need to buy this license for each app we build? so we can set concurrent users limit = number of 'Per App Plan' license?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Per App licenses are assigned to a pool in an environment.  Apps within that environment can then be enabled to use per app licenses.  If enabled a per app license will be assigned to a user the first time they access an app that has been shared with them.  So each per app license is automatically assigned to an end user.  Maker's normally have a per user license since they seldom work on just one or two apps.

Yes, as the chart shows each user with a per app license can use it on two different apps.  This is to provide coverage for things like a Tablet app with an associated Mobile app.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

1) The per App license isn't for concurrent users.  Once an app is shared with a user and that user runs the app they consume a per app license.  It does not release the license when they aren't running the app.  So the second user who runs the app also needs a per app license.  So in your example the 301st user would require purchase of another per app license.  Having a user with a current license close their session will not free up a license.

2) Per app licenses will let a user run a maximum of two apps.  You need enough licenses to cover each user who runs one or two apps.  The chart in this article on licensing provides a more clear picture.  Again, per app licensing is automatically assigned to users and is not concurrent.

About Power Apps per app plans - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Hey @Pstork1 , thanks for quick response. I want to clarify few things.

Is 'Per app plan' license assigned to an App or assigned to end-user and/or to Makers of the app?

If latter is True then, as you mentioned "It does not release the license when they aren't running the app. " - there has to be some connection between App and User. Else how "maximum of two apps" is determined?

As per the chart can one user consume 2 'Per app plan' licenses?

Per App licenses are assigned to a pool in an environment.  Apps within that environment can then be enabled to use per app licenses.  If enabled a per app license will be assigned to a user the first time they access an app that has been shared with them.  So each per app license is automatically assigned to an end user.  Maker's normally have a per user license since they seldom work on just one or two apps.

Yes, as the chart shows each user with a per app license can use it on two different apps.  This is to provide coverage for things like a Tablet app with an associated Mobile app.

@Pstork1 wrote:

If enabled a per app license will be assigned to a user the first time they access an app that has been shared with them.  

Hi, could you please share where this specific item is documented?  The MS documentation on per-app licensing states the license is consumed when it is shared.  It is much different if it is actually consumed when the user accesses the  app considering the app could be shared with hundreds of users (for example, if it's shared with a departmental security group), but only a few actually launch it.

Thank you!

Unfortunately its not well documented.  But that is the way it works in practice.  And your example is why it works that way.  If you share an app with a group you have a potential need for licenses, but they aren't actually consumed until the app is used.

davetheteamsguy
Helper I
Helper I

Safe to assume you've experienced this?  =D

Yes, and I've reported it to MS to try to get them to update the documentation.

davetheteamsguy
Helper I
Helper I

Ok thanks for the quick responses.  I'll add +1 to getting the documentation updated as well.

OmtisMarty

To just beat this horse dead. Can you please confirm, once the app is launched, and the license is consumed, does the license ever return to the pool or once it's consumed, it's with that user forever. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (3,130)