cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natrob
Helper I
Helper I

Managed Solution Not Secure

Hi there, I just finished my first app. I exported it as a managed solution, unzipped the file, and went to PowerApps to test it's security. Find the file location, import and open it, and everything is editable! I can't sell this application if I can't protect the source code! This is exactly what a managed solution ISN'T supposed to do. If I'm being dumb and doing the wrong thing please let me know. Otherwise this is a major security flaw with PowerApps.

1 REPLY 1
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @natrob,

I see you already found/replied to an existing related thread below.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Pro-Dev-ISV/Securing-Canvas-App-in-Managed-Solution/t...

I presume your concern is specifically with Canvas Apps? Note that with Dataverse components for model-driven apps you can set Managed Properties to control which components can be modified when installed as a managed solution.

Do also consider that from an Intellectual Property perspective, its still possible to get a copy of the managed solution and obtain all the metadata and assemblies of plugins (of which can also be decompiled). Even without a copy of the managed solution, it is not difficult for one to reverse engineer a Power App just by simply using it and becoming familiar with its functionality. Therefore, it is impractical and not worth trying to protect the source code from that perspective.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (38,843)