cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
digiservice
Advocate II
Advocate II

Microsoft Lists: SharePoint Lists, hide from users?

I appreciate this question spans across multiple Microsoft products but I am hoping someone can help me.

Our tenant now has Microsoft Lists.

We are little concerned as we have a number of PowerApps that use SharePoint Lists as their main data source and now these a entirely visible to the users.

Previously it was fairly easy to hide the lists from users so they could not easily interact with the data outside of the PowerApp.

Now with Microsoft Lists the users can see all Lists they have access to, and much more easily circumvent using the PowerApp to edit the data directly. 

If you were to use SQL or CDS, you would give read/write permissions to the relevant data but most likely never grant the user direct access to the server or datastore.

Is there then a similar permissions structure to achieve access to the data but not access directly to the SharePoint List itself?

Is there a means we can at least hide the SharePoint Lists from the Microsoft Lists dashboard/home page?

Any help or advice appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
jlalonde
Regular Visitor

We have the same need.

v-jefferni
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @digiservice ,

Thank you for your reply.

Please check below official doc to see the limits of Lists right now:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/manage-lists-app#what-you-need-to-know-about-lists

Note:

At this point, owner and member permissions in a team aren't linked in any way to permissions in the team site that govern the behavior of lists or the Lists App. However, based on customer feedback and usage, this will be considered for a future iteration of the product.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

JosephCrockett
Frequent Visitor

This is unconfirmed by anyone, but if you "hide" the list, it does appear to hide it from MS Lists. This does require knowledge of PowerShell and PnP PowerShell. It also will hide the list from the Site Contents screen.

I say it's unconfirmed, because I didn't find this documented anywhere -- so it may change (without warning) and also may not work like I think it does. Aside from those warnings, it did work for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (60,936)