cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KnowledgeSeeker
Frequent Visitor

Not able to create a new environment

Hi Community,

In my school we are trying to enable couple users (5users) creating and sharing Power Apps applications which will be consumed by other users (90users).

So I started by one user, I created a new account O365 and assigned the licenses I acquire (A1 for faculty license + Microsoft Power Automate Free)but when I try creating a new environment I get the below message:  

The user does not have a license that that environment creation.

- Is my license not enough to create new environment ? Or to enable user creating canvas or Model Driven App with CDS?

- Do even Apps consumers need a license ? Which one ?

- Is Microsoft Power Automate Free enough in case I wanted to connect Power Apps to Power Automate ?

I am new to the Power Apps licensing so your help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1) No difference in the number of users who can use apps in the default environment vs. a custom environment.  The default environment is available to everyone.  You can limit who has access to a custom environment and what they can do in it.

2) An A1 is an academic Microsoft 365 license.  One of the Sub SKU licenses included in that license is a license for Power Apps and Power Automate.  Neither of those Sub SKU licenses provide access to Premium features, only standard ones.  But anyone with that license can create or use apps in the default environment and any other environment where they are given rights.  Yes, that includes importing Excel or using it as a data source stored in OneDrive.

3) Yes, Canvas app with standard connectors.  All Model Driven Apps are premium.  Canvas Apps are premium if they use premium features like SQL as a data source.  But SharePoint, OneDrive, and Excel are all standard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

To create an environment you need to be an environment administrator.  That's usually the global admin for your tenant.  Having an A1 license alone won't give you the ability to create a new environment.

- An A1 is a "seeded" license.  That will let you create apps with standard connectors, ie canvas apps with SharePoint, Excel, OneDrive, etc. Model Driven apps and CDS are both premium

- Yes, App consumers also need licenses. For the standard apps you can create an Office 365 license will be enough.

- As long as you are using Power Automate to extend Office 365 your Power Apps "seeded" license will be enough.

Hi @Pstork1 

Firstly thank for answering my question. If you don't mind I need some clarifications

1- To create an environment ... the global admin for your tenant.
Scenario 1: I will assign the role PowerPlaform to the account, then create an environment
Scenario2: I will keep the default company environment
In the both scenarios would be there any limitations in term of the number of users who can create Apps ?

2-An A1 is a "seeded" license ... are both premium
Does that mean users with A1 will be able just to create Canvas Apps with basic connectors ? Does that include Import Excel ?

3- Yes, App consumers .... license will be enough
By saying standard app do you mean Canvas Apps with standard connectors

Thank you in advance

1) No difference in the number of users who can use apps in the default environment vs. a custom environment.  The default environment is available to everyone.  You can limit who has access to a custom environment and what they can do in it.

2) An A1 is an academic Microsoft 365 license.  One of the Sub SKU licenses included in that license is a license for Power Apps and Power Automate.  Neither of those Sub SKU licenses provide access to Premium features, only standard ones.  But anyone with that license can create or use apps in the default environment and any other environment where they are given rights.  Yes, that includes importing Excel or using it as a data source stored in OneDrive.

3) Yes, Canvas app with standard connectors.  All Model Driven Apps are premium.  Canvas Apps are premium if they use premium features like SQL as a data source.  But SharePoint, OneDrive, and Excel are all standard.

View solution in original post

Hi @KnowledgeSeeker ,

In addition to the Power Platform admin role you are also going to need at least 1GB of unallocated database capacity to create a Production environment.  If you do not have any Power Apps plan licenses in your tenant then you are likely to not have enough capacity.  The easiest way to get database capacity is to purchase a Power Apps per user plan license as the first of these licenses that you buy gives you 10GB of database capacity for your tenant.

Read more about database capacity here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/create-environment#what-is-the-power-apps-prod...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/capacity-storage

emseki
Community Support
Community Support

Thank you for sharing your issue. Though this is already resolved, this docs would also help you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/power-platform/admin/create-environment#who-can-create-environments

Or if your organization allows, you can try trial license and try Trial environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,267)