cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Possible to Disable Power Apps Trial Accounts Completely?

Our client has a requirement to disable new M365 users from creating Power Apps and Power Automate flow until they receive training. It would seem that this could be achieved by:

• Setting AllowAdHocSubscriptions to $false in PowerShell (Set-MsolCompanySettings)
  • Setting AllowSelfServicePurchase to all Products to "Disabled" in PowerShell (Update-MsCommerceProductPolicy)
  • Unchecking "Let users install trial apps and services" in M365 Admin, Settings, OrgSettings, User owned apps and services
  • turning off Power Apps and Power Automate apps in their Office 365 E3 license (the only license user has)

However, when users to go make.powerapps.com they ARE presented with an option to create a trial and they can create a trial, even though I believe I have turned off the options that make this possible.

I believe it used to be possible to disable Power Apps trial accounts because when I was teaching AIAD workshops last fall users told me that they couldn't create trials with their company O365 E3 accounts so I set them up with demo accounts.

Does anybody have any idea how to COMPLETELY disallow user access to Power Apps? I've tested with creating absolutely new test users (therefore they have never had Power Apps trial or "free" licenses) and they CAN create a Power Apps trial if they click on  the "Start my trial" button on the webpage that pops up if they don't have a license when they go to make.powerapps.com. I know this article from December 2019 says you CAN'T block users from creating trial accounts but I KNOW from my workshops that there were users who couldn't create Power Apps trials. Do you think those admins of their companies were blocking particular URLS on their company laptops? Maybe that's the way they did it?

Any suggestions very much appreciated! I need to get a DEFINITE answer to whether it is possible to completely block users from using Power Apps.

This is the page that pops upThis is the page that pops up

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Re: Possible to Disable Power Apps Trial Accounts Completely?

So I opened a case with Microsoft after submitting this and heard back from them:

Remove-AllowedConsentPlans -Types "Internal" as per this article here should stop users from being able to sign up for a trial. Note that this does not stop the trail message from appearing however it will error out if any users attempt to sign up for the trial and it will fail. Article below;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-powershell#block-trial-licenses-comm...

This DID work but unfortunately as the engineer said it does not stop the trial message from appearing or from the user clicking the "Start my Trial" button which then goes to this page below. UGH!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You can prevent users from creating trial environments by going to the Power Platform Admin Center and doing the following:

1. Click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner
  2. Click on Power Platform settings
  3. Select "Only specific admins" under "Who can create trial environments"
  4.  Click Save

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

So I opened a case with Microsoft after submitting this and heard back from them:

Remove-AllowedConsentPlans -Types "Internal" as per this article here should stop users from being able to sign up for a trial. Note that this does not stop the trail message from appearing however it will error out if any users attempt to sign up for the trial and it will fail. Article below;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-powershell#block-trial-licenses-comm...

This DID work but unfortunately as the engineer said it does not stop the trial message from appearing or from the user clicking the "Start my Trial" button which then goes to this page below. UGH!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your answer. That's a good tip for limiting the creation of trial environments, but I was looking to prevent users from creating trial licenses. You can see the answer to that question that a Microsoft engineer gave me today. 

Stay safe!

Kathryn

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (4,419)