cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antonioclk
Helper III
Helper III

Power App User Roles and Permissions with Sharepoint

Hello i'm kinda new to powerapp and i'm trying to make my first apps. I find quite easy to handle the app but i have a big doubt related to user roles and permission management. 

Let's say i make a simple canvas app which is based on a sharepoint list, for instance a dictionary app made with the template who creates:

• a main view with a gallery showing the words and a search bar
  • a detail page where you can read the meaning of the selected word
  • an edit page who lets you edit the selected word or create a new word

If i've understood correctly, to share the app i should publish it and then all the people who is part of that office group related to the sharepoint list will have access to it. If i want to let someone else use my app, i have to add him to the sharepoint group list. 

Is it correct? is there a way to manage permissions in a better way?

I would like to allow data management only via App, without allowing people to access the data directly via the sharepoint list. Is this possible?

how can i define roles? I noticed my app only let me define CoOwners who can edit my app, and users who can use it.

I'd like to define different levels of use... for instance HR department could read and edit, regular users should just read.

How to do that?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Antonioclk ,

Permissions of accessing SharePoint site and lists are required for users to use PowerApps Apps that include the lists as data sources. You can use a list to manage user permissions. To prevent users manage data of the list, you can hide the lists in the site from users:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5piH5Bd20

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

suparna-banerje
Regular Visitor

You can define AAD Security Groups or Office 365 group -1 for HR and 1 for Regular user, add HR as co-owner and Regular user as user only. Add the users to the relevant groups. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app#share-an-app-with-office-365...

Please note that both groups should have access into the SharePoint data source. To add security groups to SharePoint, it needs to be email enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,638)