cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkPP
Helper II
Helper II

Power Apps and Application Insights

I am looking for some advice when using Application Insights and Canvas Apps.

Currently you can simply provide an instrumentation key to any Application Insight (AI) resource and you can get the app to log telemetry to it. This provides the ability for someone to log sensitive information outside the control of the organisation if they were wanting to be malicious as they could create there own AI resource and write data to it.

As its available through the Power Apps studio connectors aren't used so i don't believe DLP policies can help in this scenario.

Does anyone know if this can be controlled at all?

Any help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarkPP ,

Sorry, for now, Blocking or disabling connectors is not possible. There is no option in PowerApps or Flow that would let you block or disable a particular connector.

Please submit your feedback to PowerApps Ideas forum, or vote for this similar idea.

Hope this helps

Sik

I am not asking about blocking connectors as i know you can block certain connectors via a DLP policy.

This is all about using App Insights from a Power App and providing an instrumentation key.

Hi @MarkPP ,

So what exactly are you trying to control? I can't get your point.

Sik

So when you create a Power App you can log telemetry to Application Insights by providing an instrumentation key.

This key can be to any Application Insight resource and not necessarily the organisations resources. This means someone could build an app and log telemetry out to there own personal app insight resource containing information provided by the user and potentially containing sensitive data. What i would like to understand is if an organisation wants to assure this doesn't happen is there a way to restrict the app insight resources that telemetry gets written too or is there an api you can call to see if an app is using an instrumentation key?

Thanks

Hi @MarkPP ,

Sorry, I haven't seen any tool to achieve your needs.

Please try to submit your feedback to PowerApps Ideas forums or request a Microsoft Support.

Sik

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

Users online (2,377)