cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkSL
Frequent Visitor

Power Apps in Power BI licensing

Hi,

Apologies for asking a Power Apps licensing question, there seem to be more than a few already...

First off, we are completely new to Power Apps.  However we do have Power BI Premium with 500 users.

We now want to start integrating Power Apps into our Power BI reports, to allow the user to write comments back to our SQL database.

Our users are mostly on 365 E3 or Business Standard licenses which I believe will allow them to access a basic Power App, but not one which uses a Premium Connector which I understand all SQL (On Premise or Azure) are?

Would we therefore need to purchase 500 Per App plans at £7.50 per user per month?  Seems quite a price to allow them to write some comments back to SQL?  Or is it just the App developer that needs one of these?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarkSL,

You are right that each user would require a premium license to use the SQL Server connector if directly writing to the database.

What you could do is use an intermediate data store such as a SharePoint list to hold the comments. A Power Automate flow can be setup by a user that has a Flow Per User premium license to retrieve the record from the SharePoint list and save it in a SQL database.

It's not the most elegant and it wouldn't be synchronous/real-time, but it would avoid having to license each user for premium Power Apps.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarkSL,

You are right that each user would require a premium license to use the SQL Server connector if directly writing to the database.

What you could do is use an intermediate data store such as a SharePoint list to hold the comments. A Power Automate flow can be setup by a user that has a Flow Per User premium license to retrieve the record from the SharePoint list and save it in a SQL database.

It's not the most elegant and it wouldn't be synchronous/real-time, but it would avoid having to license each user for premium Power Apps.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @ChrisPiasecki 

Thanks for the reply. 

I did briefly look at this 2 years ago and I am pretty sure that Azure SQL was a standard connector back then?  

Regardless, it looks like the Sharepoint List with a flow to pass into SQL might have to be the solution.  I am not expecting it get hard usage, possibly something in the region of 50 inserts a day.  

I presume the Sharepoint List to SQL Flow is well established as it were and not likely to have its capabilities removed?  I imagine many must be using this as a solution?

So aside from single the Flow Premium license, would myself or my team as developers require a Power Apps Per App plan license, or should the standard PowerApps access as part of my E3 be enough?

Thanks again for your inputs, 

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (2,607)