cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TesDA
Level: Powered On

Power Platform - Storage Capcity - Database

This is all very new to me, including managing from an administration standpoint so let me know if you need additional information. The docs arent helping me understand if I should be worried about capacity or not based on where I stand. 24% database storage capacity left.

I have 4 environments (Prod, Test, UAT & CDS testing). We've used SQL Server as our primary database but are looking into using the CDS specifically for apps. I'm part of a much larger tenant and have a T2 license. I only have access to my environments. We have 4 very active apps using SQL Server for 1 small team (7 active users) and are looking to roll out about 7 apps to my entire business unit using CDS (~900 people). This would require ~10 more tables, two of which are 10-20k rows.

I added the CDS only to the CDS Testing environment with 4 test tables that have very few rows in order to validate and better understand how to manage security requirements.

I'm now looking at my database storage capacity (never looked at it before), and Im little shocked at the size: 24.64% available! Should I be worried about capacity? Is this just an admin burden base due to the CDS that wont go up much as we add tables? Or could we easily go over our database capacity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Power Platform - Storage Capcity - Database

First, I assume you mean a P2 license, rather than a T2 license. But having said that I think you will be fine until you move to actively using CDS.  As long as you continue to use SQL I don't think you will see the amount of space decrease in your tenant unless you try to make additional environments. Each new environment consumes at least 1GB of space if you create it with a CDS database.  I suspect that is why you are currently at 24% available with 4 environments.  But the process of building applications just uses the space that is already reserved rather than consuming additional space.  If you start actively using CDS in the environments then you may start using more than the 1GB that is reserved.  But 1GB can hold a lot of data before it starts growing beyond that.

In summary.  I think you will be fine unless you want more environments or start extensively using CDS.  I wouldn't worry until then.  When you start using CDS then keep an eye on how much space is remaining and buy additional storage capacity if needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

First, I assume you mean a P2 license, rather than a T2 license. But having said that I think you will be fine until you move to actively using CDS.  As long as you continue to use SQL I don't think you will see the amount of space decrease in your tenant unless you try to make additional environments. Each new environment consumes at least 1GB of space if you create it with a CDS database.  I suspect that is why you are currently at 24% available with 4 environments.  But the process of building applications just uses the space that is already reserved rather than consuming additional space.  If you start actively using CDS in the environments then you may start using more than the 1GB that is reserved.  But 1GB can hold a lot of data before it starts growing beyond that.

In summary.  I think you will be fine unless you want more environments or start extensively using CDS.  I wouldn't worry until then.  When you start using CDS then keep an eye on how much space is remaining and buy additional storage capacity if needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

TesDA
Level: Powered On

Thanks! This is really helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 5,944 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: