cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stebro1986
Helper I
Helper I

PowerAPP linked to sharepoint lists

hey all, I've created a power APP, which feeds a SharePoint list where only HR staff should be able to access.

2 questions, which I would like to understand.

1) I want all staff across the Organisation to use the app, IF allowed access to the PowerApp, would they be able to view/enter HR's SharePoint library? 

2) IF Question 1 means, I can share my PowerApp, the 2nd Question is that my PowerApps has some combo boxes, which looks at lists on this HR SharePoint library, if the end user doesn't have access to this library will the drop down lists etc work?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can hide, hide the list using this API call. But this hides it from HR as well. You can create Links etc. on their page for them to see thou. But also if you give access via share on just the list itself then they won't be able to see it on the site cause they won't have access to it either but direct to the list. 

(2) PowerApps Hide SharePoint List and remove it from Search - YouTube

Anyway, a couple options of trying to mask, but nothing to "secure" it. Or only allow certain columns etc. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cwebb365
Super User
Super User

1: Yes, if data feeding the app is from that list, they will need access to the underlying list. 

2: No the drop downs will not work without access to the lists (data source) that the app pulls from. 

Bottom line, any data source listed in your app, the user using the app must have access to those data sources. 

any tips, how I can work around this? i.e. can I provide access but hide it from SharePoint visitors?

I mean you can hide it from search / indexing, but you can't really hide it from people coming in and going to site contents and finding / browsing it if they have access to it. That's the biggest negitive IMO to using SharePoint data sources because it's hard to hide and or secure certain aspects of the data. 

You can hide, hide the list using this API call. But this hides it from HR as well. You can create Links etc. on their page for them to see thou. But also if you give access via share on just the list itself then they won't be able to see it on the site cause they won't have access to it either but direct to the list. 

(2) PowerApps Hide SharePoint List and remove it from Search - YouTube

Anyway, a couple options of trying to mask, but nothing to "secure" it. Or only allow certain columns etc. 

cwebb365
Super User
Super User

Ok, sorry to come back on this, but Reza put up a great video covering an advanced way you could technically use to circumvent permissions to populate a drop down without giving permissions by using flow. You would basically have an action run the flow onstart etc. or visable and impersonate the flow which can return a value to your app  then you can populate that list data from that. This way you have the flow run as a user that has read permission to the list, but this prevents the actual user from needing access. Anyway, something you can look into doing, it will work but you might need some concatenation etc. to manipulate the returned data from the SharePoint get items cation you would use to get all the items you want to return for your collection that will in turn populate your dropdown etc. 

Hope this helps. 

Run Power Apps connections with elevated permissions via Power Automate | Impersonate flow actions -...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,232)