cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Russ
Level: Powered On

Problems migrating canvas app from on-prem sql (via gateway) to azure sql (no gateway)

Hi,

I am currently migrating an existing canvas app which uses on-prem SQL server via an enterprise gateway to use azure sql db as its source instead.

As an aside the reason for the migration is that as of Jan 2020 our users on an Office365 powerapps plan will no longer be eligible to use apps that use an enterprise data gateway.

I have created and populated the azure SQL database and am looking for the best (least effort) approach to switching the existing app to use that instead as its data source.

My initial plan was to simply change the server and other connection details in the data connector, but the option to connect direct to cloud sources is greyed out, so I'm not confident that this will eliminate use of the data gateway properly (see pic).

Is there a way to swicth the canvas app to using another  source (with the same schema etc) other than by adding a second source into the app and then changing all the screen components etc to use the new source followed by removing the old one?

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Problems migrating canvas app from on-prem sql (via gateway) to azure sql (no gateway)

Sorry to say, but your thought process is correct.  You will need to add another data source that goes directly to Azure SQL and then change all the references to the original SQL connection to point to the new data source. There is no simple easy way to convert it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,045)