Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GarryPope Advocate III
Advocate III

Remove'delete the CDS from the Default environment

Hello Power Apps Community,

I hope you can help please.

We've had Dynamics for over 3 years now, so when the concept of the Default environment was introduced, we didn't fully understand it. 

When I look at our Default environment now, I see a lot of people using it, which is great, but I can see that it has a CDS assigned to it.

When I read documentation from the community and Microsoft it's often said that having a CDS with your Default environment is not the right thing to do.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove a CDS once it's been provisioned into an environment please?

Thanks very much,

Garry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EricRegnier Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Re: Remove'delete the CDS from the Default environment

Hi @GarryPope,

I don't think you can delete the CDS instance in the default environment or even change the type to Sandbox. You'll have to open a Microsoft support ticket in the Admin Center (https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/support) to request changes. Also, can you point me where it's documented that it's not recommended to have a CDS instance in the default environment? 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Impactful Individual

Hi @GarryPope,

I don't think you can delete the CDS instance in the default environment or even change the type to Sandbox. You'll have to open a Microsoft support ticket in the Admin Center (https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/support) to request changes. Also, can you point me where it's documented that it's not recommended to have a CDS instance in the default environment? 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

GarryPope Advocate III
Advocate III

Hello @EricRegnier,

Thanks so much for the super fast response. That's great. 

Let me check my browser history for the documentation and then I'll post it back. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on at the moment, so might take a little time.

I'm starting to think that actually I didn't read it, but was told by our Microsoft representative not to add the CDS to the Default environment. For the last couple of weeks I've had a note on my OneNote to investigate removing the CDS from the default environment.

So if I can't find the documentation, I'll contact our Microsoft representative and let you know why they said a CDS is not recommended to be added to the Default environment.

Thanks again for the great reply and have a great day,

Garry

GarryPope Advocate III
Advocate III

Hello @EricRegnier,

I hope you're well. I haven't got the best update for you, but I remembered a video that mentioned that they didn't turn on the CDS in their default environment. It's a talk about the COE and an interview with Chevron. They say they haven't turned the CDS on in their default environment, but don't explain why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjPsGZ2NBE&t=1788s it's around minute 56.

I then asked my colleague and he confirmed our Microsoft representative also said this, so I contacted them asking why we shouldn't have the CDS installed. Their reply was more around the security aspect and that everyone with an Office 365 license has access to the default environment and that it can't be controlled the way a production environment can.

For me I can see the logic in what Microsoft says, especially if your default environment starts filling up with important data and then all of a sudden it's acting like a production environment. I'm not sure now though if we'll try to remove it. We'll have a discussion internally.

Would be great to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Garry

Impactful Individual

Hi @GarryPope, Found this great article published by Microsoft about environment administration. Suggest to have a read, it will answer our questions. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/establishing-an-environment-strategy-for-microsoft-power-...

Cheers 

GarryPope Advocate III
Advocate III

Hello @EricRegnier,

Thanks for sharing. It was a brilliant article. One of the links from it was about the Default environment and it said, "The default environment is limited to 32GB of storage capacity. In case you need to store more data, you can create a production environment." So it's not mentioning to not add a CDS. Still, good to know.

Thanks, like always, for all your help on this,

Garry

donalmc Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi guys - re Default environment and the CDS, if you enable Project for the Web, it creates a CDS database in the Default Environment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

‘Better Together’ T-Shirt Contest – Winner Announced!

‘Better Together’ T-Shirt Contest – Winner Announced!

And the winner is...

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Features releasing from April 2020 through September 2020

Users online (6,063)