cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rakhshik
Frequent Visitor

Solutionized PowerApps Canvas App import/export breaks the SharePoint Data Source

I did a quick prototype to build an unmanaged solutionized canvas app with a SharePoint List Data Source and with environment variables turned on in my dev tenant. I need to export the solution to a different tenant.

During the test process, I observed that the data connection gets corrupted where you can't neither edit the data source right from your Data in PowerApps Studio or refresh it if you need to add new/update columns in your SharePoint List Data Source. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Is it recommended to use a solutionized approach only in one tenant?

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rakhshik,

Changing the metadata in a SharePoint list will break apps and flows. In flows for example, you need to remove and re-add any steps using that list to get the updated list metadata. I presume the same for apps is required (remove and re-add the List data source).

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Thank you Chris for your reply. My question was slightly different. I was looking to solutionize my canvas app and move it to a different tenant without breaking the data source. I do know that I need to preserve the same metadata. No problem there. I can recreate the list properties. I wanted to repoint my environment variables during import and have my data source working for any new future columns. 

Here is what i did. Apparently there is a new tab called Advanced when you edit your canvas after the import. Go to Data Source-->New SharePoint Connector-->It will pop-up a right panel to select your SharePoint site-->Navigate to the advanced tab to select an existing environment variable to point to whatever site and list you indicated during import. Then, I removed my broken data source and now refresh and edit option work.

Thanks for sharing your solution, @Rakhshik.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (1,794)