cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg27
Super User
Super User

Trial Version of Power Apps

What does it mean to have the trial version of Power Apps? We are planning on replacing InfoPath forms and SharePoint workflows with Power Apps and Power Automate. Currently, we are only going to use SharePoint lists to store data for all of our Power Apps.

Or... do we need to purchase a license for Power Platform that gives us the right to use both Power Apps and power Platform?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CDS reserves 1 GB by default, but you can't use CDS as a data source without a premium license.

• Yes you can create apps and flows that use SharePoint as a data source with only an A3 license
  • No, the storage in the Power Platform admin center won't restrict your ability to create apps and flows in the default environment.  It will limit whether you can create additional environments for things like QA or Development.
  • No you don't need to create an environment. The default environment is where your regular apps and flows will be stored unless you create additional environments. Power apps and flows created in Teams use a specific environment that is created for each Team.  The Teams environments will also show up there but you don't need to do anything about them.  They will be created automatically.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The trial license provides access to premium connectors for 30 days.  After the trial you would need a per User or per App license to use the premium connectors. Office 365 includes a license for Power Apps that will cover use of SharePoint Online.  However, if your SharePoint is on-premises then you would also need a remove gateway, which is another premium feature.  If you are only going to use SharePoint online lists as a data source then you don't need a trial license.  

Greg27
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 We have an O365 A3 license, but apparently have a trial version of Power Apps. I am still trying to figure out what we need. We use SharePoint online for Microsoft Teams and will use Microsoft online for Power Apps and Power Automate, but when I look at the Power Platform admin center, under Resources, and under Capacity, it shows that we have Database: 1 of 1 GB used and Files: 875.2 of 0 MB used. Not sure how to find out what database is using the 1 GB we have and what files are taking up storage we don't have.

Is there any resources that talk about how Power Platform admin center is tied to and affected by SharePoint online and Microsoft Teams?

The database is a Common Data Services database that is automatically created in the default environment for the Power Platform.  It is used for things like Approvals.  If you want to use it for more than that you would need a premium license since CDS is a premium data source.  There is also a version of CDS available inside Teams which only requires a Teams license.  I suspect someone in your tenant signed up for a trial license at some point.  Otherwise there should be any usage of the Files database.  Here is information about environments.

Environments overview - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

Greg27
Super User
Super User

So we don't have access to the CDS? Is it 1 GB by default? Seems huge for us just getting started.

So, here are my questions:

- Is an A3 license enough to create Power App forms and Power Automate workflows using SharePoint lists?

- Does the storage in the Power Platform admin center affect our ability to create forms and workflows? We don't have any Database, file, and log storage available, but I was able to create and save a Power App.

- Do we need to create an environment? It shows a default environment, but not sure what that is used for. Before we started using the Power Platform we only used SharePoint online for Teams and I am not sure if something that was setup in SharePoint for Teams, would show up in the Power Platform admin center.

CDS reserves 1 GB by default, but you can't use CDS as a data source without a premium license.

• Yes you can create apps and flows that use SharePoint as a data source with only an A3 license
  • No, the storage in the Power Platform admin center won't restrict your ability to create apps and flows in the default environment.  It will limit whether you can create additional environments for things like QA or Development.
  • No you don't need to create an environment. The default environment is where your regular apps and flows will be stored unless you create additional environments. Power apps and flows created in Teams use a specific environment that is created for each Team.  The Teams environments will also show up there but you don't need to do anything about them.  They will be created automatically.

Thanks for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Users online (4,799)