cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HSheild
Level 10

Re: Unable to Create New Prod Env: "At least 1GB capacity required" ?

Yes, there have been a lot changes recently around the licensing.

The way I see it is...

If you have Office 365 then you have some access to Power Apps and Power Automate (Flow) where you can extend and make productivity apps for Office 365 applications.  You create these Power Apps and Flows in the Default environment (which every Office 365 tenant has).  If you want the ability to apply ALM practices and govern Power Apps and Flow using environments then you need to have a Power Apps license.

Note, that you can still create your own trial and community environments but they are more for experimenting and have limitations too.  For AI Builder, that has been in Preview which means it is open to everyone to experiment with.  But as AI Builder components get released to General Availability you will need Power Apps licenses to access it.  That is Microsoft's hook, they allow you to test out and experiment with new stuff for free while it is still in a Preview state, you fall in love with it and then when they officially release it you need to pay for a license.  I don't disagree with this approach but it does confuse people into thinking that the software is free.

Super User
Super User

So I just paid $40/month for a P2 (yes, my tenant is still on the olde P1/P2 pattern). This gave me 10GB of capacity, took a few minutes (received the "not enough capacity error..."), then I was able to create another Prod Env.

Note: I tried to get away with a P1, but that only gave me 1GB. Two P1's did NOT give me more capacity.

Note2: I couldnt find the mythical "CDS Capacity Add-ons" option anywhere. There does not seem to be a place to just buy CDS capacity.

image.png

Highlighted
mschaefer
Level: Powered On

Update on my side: Also signed up for a premium trial license (per user), and I got 10 GB immediately. It just seems like there is no CDS capacity available from scratch when a new tenant has been set up, without any Power Platform premium licensing available.

@seadude: Apparently you can buy additional capacity in the O365 Admin Center:

cds5.png

Super User
Super User

Crazy. Thats not only buried under Office365 Admin AND "Other Services", but its literally not documented anywhere that I could find. There are two new Licensing Guides (2020 Dynamics, 2020 PowerPlatform) and neither of them pointed me to this location.

Thanks for tracking this down!

Craig_Humphrey
Level: Powered On

Looks like MS were a little slow with the documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-platform/admin/capacity-storage

What's not helping me, is that existing customers are not supposed to be impacted by the licensing change until renewal....

But that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have a test O365 tenant (from my My Visual Studio subscription - the old MSDN), which has a variety of D365, O365, Power App and Power Automate licenses attached to it, but I still have 0 storage allocated...

Because most of it was set up before this new restriction, I've got 2gig worth allocated, but I can no longer create new environments.

Anyone else getting stuck by this?

I even kicked off some new Power App trials, but even they haven't increased the storage allocation.

Super User
Super User

@Craig_Humphrey ,
I had to officially add a PowerApps P2 license to my O365 tenant to get the additional capacity even though I too am not up for renewal for ~6months.

I now have a P1, P2 and two O365 Business Premium licenses which gives me ~10GB of CDS capacity...

image.png

I invest almost $60/month + my Azure costs ($~40/month) to be a developer and build my PowerPlatform skills.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Users online (6,607)