cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzcase
Level 8

Users continue receiving "Trial expired" and "Start my Trial" after Per App Passes have been allocated to environment.

Previously, my organization used Dynamics 365 + Team Member Licenses + The Dynamics 365 Connector to provide staff access to custom entities. Dynamics 365 connector is now Premium (and our "grace period" isn't working after an app update, so all of our users got shunted to PowerApps P2 Trials). 

After TWO WEEKS of our Microsoft Partner struggling to get help from Microsoft Support, they finally sent us to the Support articles explaining how to allocation App Passes from PowerApps Admin, and I have done so.

However, sharing apps with users still results in "Trial Expired" and "Start My Trial" pages. This should not happen. What am I doing wrong?

I noticed in the Power Platform Admin Center that we have a yellow warning stating: "Your organization can transition to the capacity model when your current term ends or at renewal." Does this mean we can't use our App Passes?

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Users continue receiving "Trial expired" and "Start my Trial" after Per App Passes have been allocated to environment.

HI @jzcase ,

Do you purchase Add-Ons for PowerApps license on your side?

Based on the warning message that you provided, it means that you could not use the "App Passes" functionality until your PowerApps Plan 2 free trial license has been expired.

Actually, the "App Passes" functionality would be available in Power Platform Admin Center only after you or your organization has purchased Add-Ons for PowerApps or MS Flow. Please check the following article for more details:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/add-on-allocation-for-powerapps-microsoft-flow-and-ai-bui...

Please consider purchase Add-Ons for PowerApps license in Office 365 Admin Center, and then try it again, check if the issue is fixed.

If the issue still exists, please consider submit an assisted support ticket through the following link:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jzcase
Level 8

Re: Users continue receiving "Trial expired" and "Start my Trial" after Per App Passes have been allocated to environment.

I have asked our Microsoft Partner to look into the "Add-Ons for PowerApps license".

However, I am quite able to allocate App Passes even now. See attachment.

In the meantime, my PowerApps license is not a Plan 2 free trial. It is PowerApps for Dynamics 365 starting 2/22/2019.

Does that mean that we're stuck until Feb 22nd? Or do I need to change my license type right now in order to resolve the issue?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jzcase ,

Do you purchase a PowerApps for Dynamics 365 license for your account?

Since October 1st 2019, PowerApps use rights with Dynamics 365 licenses: Dynamics 365 Enterprise licenses will no longer include general purpose PowerApps capabilities. 

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq#what-are-microsof...

As an alternative solution, you could consider change your PowerApps license right now to fix this issue. In addition, you could also consider change your PowerApps license when your PowerApps for Dynamics 365 license is expired (until your Dynamics 365 for PowerApps license is expired).

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jzcase
Level 8

My license is a Dynamics 365 Sales Enterprise purchase Feb 22, 2019. So it gives me the equivalent of a PowerApps P2 license.

I know all about the new limitations, but they should not negatively impact us. They clearly state:

"Enterprise users will continue to be able to run apps and portals that extend and customize the licensed Dynamics 365 application, as long as those apps and portals are located in the same environment as their licensed Dynamics 365 application."

All of our Canvas Apps reside in the same environment as our Production Instance and all of them connect to it via the D365 Connector or the CDS Connector.

Maybe the problem is that my D365 account needs to be renewed immediately so that its PowerApps capabilities match the October 1st model.

jzcase
Level 8

I think we have uncovered a possible solution, but we don't have all of the answers yet.

We were able to get the App Passes working under two conditions which are not documented in Microsoft's support literature. Both conditions must be met.
  1. The usermusthave "PowerApps for Office 365"enabledfor their account in Office 365 admin. If it is not, the user receives a Trial invitation instead. EDIT: This is wrong, see post below.
  2. The user must not have a PowerApps P2 trial (either active or expired) connected with their account. If the user has an expired trial, they are presented the option to extend the trial.
When both of the above conditions were met, we were able to assign canvas apps to users, and I have tested with three separate user accounts (two test and one production account). The canvas app must be unassigned and reassigned

I am working with Microsoft support to try to purge the trial licenses and see if that solves the problem. If it does I will mark this question solved.
jzcase
Level 8

Major breakthrough today!

One of the conditions I listed was wrong. PowerApps for Office365 is not required

Instead, what happened was that each canvas app needed to be duplicated and the new copies shared with sufficient Per App Passes available.

I discovered that Canvas Apps tend to "remember" the license status of users when you share them. So if I mistakenly share a canvas app with a user with (a) not enough Per App passes assigned to the environment or (b) the user has an expired Trial on their account, that user will never be able to use that canvas app, full stop. Even if I add Per App passes, and unshare-and-reshare the app, that user will be SOL.

This is incredibly annoying behavior to say the least. But at least we have a solution. Once Microsoft eliminates all of my PowerApps trials, I will need to:

1. Inform the staff that they must not sign up for any more PowerApps trials.
  2. Unshare all of the apps from my current users.
  3. Duplicate those apps in PowerApps Studio (thank goodness for the new "Save As" feature).
  4. Re-share those apps.
  5. Distribute new URLs to the staff and tell them to update their bookmarks.

One continuing problem is that anytime somebody signs up for a PowerApps trial by mistake, Microsoft will need to terminate that trial via a support ticket just so that I can make that person an authorized PowerApps user.

Bad bad bad bad bad.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,659)