cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrickpoon02

Why the model-driven apps is unmanageable by Powershell or Power Automate actions?

I found that there is less support on model-driven apps... They are not captured with get-adminpowerapp cmdlet, they are not captured with "Get Apps as Admin" Power Automate action, ...

If anyone can advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @patrickpoon02 ,

Sure. You could modify your maker role.

vxiaochenmsft_0-1631157364057.png

Best Regards,

Wearsky

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
joe_hannes_col
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hello @patrickpoon02,

This is probably because Canvas Apps and Model-Driven Apps are different, historically and technically.

You can still get a list of Model-Driven Apps from an environment, using the Dataverse connector.

Model-Driven Apps are stored in the "appmodules" table. Microsoft is using this in the Center of Excellence "Admin | Sync Template v3 (Model Driven Apps)" flow:

joe_hannes_col_0-1630501174274.png

Yes I know about CoE and dataverse connector thing. However there is no PowerShell command to get the details and probably the app run detail, while still allow everyone to create such kind of apps (at least in default environment) is a nightmare to the Admins......

If we can expect only privileged user can create model-driven apps to perform something like Power BI, that makes sense and we don't need to worry a normal user will blindly create bunch of model-driven apps for testing.

Hello @patrickpoon02,

I can understand your concern.

You can of course govern resource creation more granularly in non-default environments, but I'm not sure if this helps in your case.

Still, using the Dataverse connector mentioned earlier, you can at least manage apps that have been created in your default environment. The default environment is a "playground" by design, so every user has the Environment Maker role by design.

Have you tried removing the privilege for creating model-driven apps from the Environment Maker role in the default environment? I just tested this, and it seems to prevent users from creating model-driven apps.

Sorfy may I know how to prevent the environment maker to create model-driven apps?

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @patrickpoon02 ,

Sure. You could modify your maker role.

vxiaochenmsft_0-1631157364057.png

Best Regards,

Wearsky

View solution in original post

Hi @v-xiaochen-msft ,

Thanks so much! Can this change applies to the default environment, that every licensed user will become Environment Maker automatically? We hope there is some control on default environment actually.

Best Regards,

Patrick

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @patrickpoon02 ,

At my knowledge, you cannot change the permissions of users in the default environment .

Best Regards,

Wearsky

Then we are still headache of unknown of any model-driven app created for whatever reason, in the default environment, by any user.....

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @patrickpoon02 ,

So I think , you could use another environment instead of the default environment.

Because you cannot restrict users' behavior in the default environment.

Best Regards,

Wearsky

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,615)