cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watts
Level: Powered On

Will PowerApps be removed from the Office 365 license?

Are there plans to remove PowerApps from the Office 365 license?  The recent licensing change removing access to SQL hamstrings our ability to build functional business apps, and doesn't appear to make sense (we signed up for an Azure subscription specifically because of the appeal of working w PowerApps) unless the goal is to gut the features in the Office 365 license.  I'm wondering if it's worth the time to wrestle with workarounds using SharePoint lists or to just look for another another option now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Will PowerApps be removed from the Office 365 license?

There are no announced plans to remove the "seeded" Power Apps and Power Automate licenses from Office 365.  Given the integration that is built into SharePoint with Power Apps and Power Automate already I'm not sure it would even be possible.  I suspect the change for SQL was to put it on a more even level with CDS, which is clearly Microsoft's preferred data source going forward.  But I don't see any move to remove the basic SharePoint licensing that is currently in place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

There are no announced plans to remove the "seeded" Power Apps and Power Automate licenses from Office 365.  Given the integration that is built into SharePoint with Power Apps and Power Automate already I'm not sure it would even be possible.  I suspect the change for SQL was to put it on a more even level with CDS, which is clearly Microsoft's preferred data source going forward.  But I don't see any move to remove the basic SharePoint licensing that is currently in place.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
watts
Level: Powered On

Ah, ok.  I get wanting to encourage people to use CDS, but this move certainly doesn't do that for us.  If it's supposed to be the standard data connection it should be a standard connector.  I understand there is also a cost associated w storing data, but Azure SQL seems to have that worked out (albeit in a confusing way that's hard to estimate), without forcing every user to upgrade their license.  I guess we'll do some tests with SharePoint lists before abandoning PowerApps.  Thanks!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but as I said I would be shocked if the Power App license was removed entirely from Office 365.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,861)