cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmark8080
Frequent Visitor

version control, system development--what is the plan? Doesn't seem mature enough for reliable SharePoint development.

Hi,

I'm not sure that this comment will be helpful, but I'm a SharePoint developer from the perspective of SPServices/jQuery/jQueryUI. I've been waiting on the sidelines for a few years and now I have a project which I would like to use PowerApps for SharePoint forms. But I'm getting this unpleasant feeling related to SharePoint workflows. In 2007 at least I could look at the text files behind the workflows and then MS moved to an improved graphical workflow for SharePoint workflows, but it made documentation and version control very difficult. PowerApps are very capable but I don't understand how I am supposed to document my PowerApp. There are so many options and no apparent way to create a record of the state of the app. MS has created a graphical design environment, just like SharePoint workflows, but that structured environment does not lend itself to documenting the state of the design. Looks like there is a test case tool which I haven't tried yet--this could be helpful. I just wonder why the current standard for code development is something like GitHub but PowerApp development doesn't follow that methodology--I think.

Do I have this all wrong? What is the plan for development control for PowerApps?

Also, it still seems to be a work in progress, at least for the SharePoint integration. For instance, most SharePoint lists with advanced workflow needs require three separate screens (new, edit, display). The integration starts off with one screen and if you don't change the names you end up with many parts with very similar names that represent very different functions. And then if you add a collection, to mitigate the delegation issue (hey why no SharePoint functions to just not have this issue in the first place?), it is hard to locate where the collection is in the structure. Why not just have three PowerApps (maybe too hard to copy PowerApps?) and if you want the same PowerApp for each function, just reference one? And from the collections view, you can't edit the collection. Etc.

Any thoughts? Any links? Good videos? Sorry I'm late to the game.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
jlindstrom
Super User
Super User

The plan is to use solutions and store your source code in azure DevOps https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/devops-build-tools#what-are-microsoft-power-plat...

you don’t have this capability if you only have office licenses but if you have at least one paid license for power apps, power automate, or dynamics 365 you can use solutions and automate source control with azure DevOps

as Stephen Siciliano said, all non personal productivity apps and flows should go in a solution

Hi, Thanks, your reply was helpful (and fast).

I will look into the options of building solutions. Probably will beyond my scope and if we want to pursue modernizing our SharePoint experience, it will take outside help. Good to know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,657)