cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justin365
Helper II
Helper II

Ability to link a contact to a Worker in HR to login/ view details in a portal

I need the ability for HR Workers to sign in to a portal and submit a leave request or update their details?

How would this be possible they would likely need to be contacts but how could we link those contacts to "workers" or could they sign in as workers (without azure ad)

Any help would be super appreciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Justin365 ,

Well, any user of the portal is a contact in your system. You would need to link worker record to contact and use that relationship to configure proper entity permissions and allow contacts to modify their workers records. Regarding leave request - I assume that on a leave request entity you have a lookup for worker record. What you can do is using fetchxml to fetch worker record related to the contact (via relationship I mentioned earlier) and then populate lookup with js.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

All Portal users will have a Contact record (even if logging in via an identity provider), you just create Contacts for your users and then send them a Portal Invite (command bar option on the contact record).  If you want to distinguish them from other Contacts then put a Type field on the Contact (alternatively, attach them to a Account that is your Organisations name)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Justin365 ,

Well, any user of the portal is a contact in your system. You would need to link worker record to contact and use that relationship to configure proper entity permissions and allow contacts to modify their workers records. Regarding leave request - I assume that on a leave request entity you have a lookup for worker record. What you can do is using fetchxml to fetch worker record related to the contact (via relationship I mentioned earlier) and then populate lookup with js.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Is there any reason why no Azure AD?

I believe it's the licensing cost @Fubar - but is it possible to have an HR Portal as such from a PowerApp Portal? 

You are aware that If they are an internal user and using the PowerApps Portal, they still need to pay MSFT for the licence even if they are not directly logging into Dynamics 365 or a Canvas App etc and just using the Portal (its only External/Anonymous users where you can avoid the larger licence fee).

You can use Local login for a no AD method, and also other identity providers eg. Facebook, Google (but this does not remove the obligation for the organisation to pay the Internal user fee for those users that are internals).

Yep @Fubar  I understand there is likely to be the £150 cost..

Just wondering how we actually can get the "workers" into a D365 Portal - I imagine I will somehow have to create the "workers entity forms" within a contact?

also thank you @OOlashyn for your help. Just not sure how to approach this  as I am not sure how to actually map workers to contacts or if there is another way?

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

All Portal users will have a Contact record (even if logging in via an identity provider), you just create Contacts for your users and then send them a Portal Invite (command bar option on the contact record).  If you want to distinguish them from other Contacts then put a Type field on the Contact (alternatively, attach them to a Account that is your Organisations name)

Justin365
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you both for taking the time to review! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (5,095)