cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bran

At what point is a FetchXML query actually executed with liquid?

II would like to create a liquid template that contains all of my fetchXML functions I'll use throughout the portal. I want to include this template on every page and within the page retrieve the values I need for that specific page. 

If I were to make a template that contains all of my fetchXML functions and include it on each page, will they all be executed each time? Or are they only executed when I use the xxx.results.entities and assign it to a variable? 

Having them all on one page makes it a lot more organized rather then having fetchXML spread out on all my pages. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Hi @bran 

The FetchXML only retrieves the data once you invoke the xxx.results.entities 

So it shouldn't have any major performance impact having a single Web Template with lots of FetchXML, a few things to have in mind:

• this would load several objects in memory, so the web app itself would be heavier
  • those would be cached as well, so the internal caching database would be larger
  • I haven't tested here how you would access the Fetch object from different pages, but I am assuming you have that figured out already
  • try to come up with a nice naming convention for those fetches, just so they don't conflict with anything else from your pages

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Hi @bran 

The FetchXML only retrieves the data once you invoke the xxx.results.entities 

So it shouldn't have any major performance impact having a single Web Template with lots of FetchXML, a few things to have in mind:

• this would load several objects in memory, so the web app itself would be heavier
  • those would be cached as well, so the internal caching database would be larger
  • I haven't tested here how you would access the Fetch object from different pages, but I am assuming you have that figured out already
  • try to come up with a nice naming convention for those fetches, just so they don't conflict with anything else from your pages

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

Perfect. I didn't consider the memory aspects of it. It will be a max of maybe 10 or so fetchXML functions on the page. I'm coming from PHP and I'm used to having on my db functions in a consolidated file that I can then pick from when needed. Thanks!

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Rather than putting all queries in one template, I would probably break them up into multiple templates and then "Include" the ones I wanted in Liquid e.g. if xxx then include template A else Include template B (can also do switch).

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,250)