cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Attachting a file via a powerapps portals form

I am attempting to create a form on powerapps portals that will allow me to add attachements within the entity. I have seen several people mention that they have created an attachement within a form but I am falling at the first hurdle!

I have created a customer entity with the below option selected:
Enable attachments.PNG

I've created two different data fields one is an image data field and one is a file data field.

I have then created a form within this entity and both the image and the file fields however they both have the below error messages:

Enable record.PNG

And when I open the portal these fields are not visible to interact with at all.

I have spent all day yesterday looking through youtube videos and microsoft documentation and I can't find anything straightforward!

I have also set up the notes but I can't figure out how to add this into the insert form that I have created: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure-notes#notes-configuration-for-web...

Any help or points towards a straight forwards guide for attachments would be extremely helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Re: Attachting a file via a powerapps portals form

the videos should be able to guide you on viewing the navigating and viewing the notes via CDS interface/model-driven app

try the following:

open make.powerapps.com --> nagivate to Apps --> click on Portal Management

open the Advanced Find (the funnel icon on the top-right)

advfind.PNG

once the pop-up for the Advanced Find is opened, select your entity on the Look For dropdown (the entity with the notes)

open any record, do you see the Social Panel with notes there? if not you haven't added it into the Form, you need to do it via Solution management

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Did you create entity permissions?

Did you create the entity form metadata?

Is the notes available in your form/tab?

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OliverRodrigues ,

I have created entity permissions and have assigned this to the user profile, they have read, write and create permissions for the entity.

I have created the metadata as per instructed by the link posted above, please see below the metadata record.

Entity form metadata.PNG

I also have ticked all the relevant sections in the additional settings on the form:

Attach File.PNG

I don't know where I'm supposed to see notes in the form, see below what I can see on my create form screen:
Create Form.png

Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

On the Entity Permissions, make sure to add Append/Append to as well

in your last picture, I see you are in the Model-Driven app (D365), as a default behaviour there, you can only add subgrid/note items once the main/parent record is saved

so if you just save your record with the name field populated, the notes should appear

in the model-driven app entity permissions or metadata etc are completely ignored, those configuration are used in the Portals

have you tried the notes in your entity form in your portal?

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OliverRodrigues,

I will make that permissions change.

I'm a little unsure what you mean regarding the notes appearing, I have attempted to submit a name and the form disappears, it doesn't allow me the option to add notes, do I need to change the configuration of my form?

I don't know what you mean by your last question, do you have a youtube video or some screenshots you could send over? I'm very new to this and am not familiar with all of the terminology.

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @knives,

Currently Portal doesn't support Image and File type fields. You need to use notes and attach file functionality instead.

If you want to allow users to attach file during creation of the record  on your insert Entity Form in the Additional Settings tab scroll down to Attach File section and enable Attach File functionality (see docs here and attached screenshot). This will render attach file button. You also need to select where to store your file (in Notes or in Azure Blob Storage).

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OOlashyn,

As per my above reply I have already configured the forms additional settings to allow for attachments.

The trouble I am having is getting the attachments button to appear on the form, everything I have tried doesn't allow for it and I can't figure out where that option is.

Kind Regards,

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @knives ,

Sorry missed that image. As per @OliverRodrigues reply what you show us is the form in the maker experience not in the Power Apps Portal itself. You will not see any Attach Button there as it will appear only on the Portal. Can you navigate to your web page on the Power Apps Portal and show us how the form looks there?

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

your portal should have as URL something like https://<yourportalname>.powerappsportals.com

another way to access that would be on make.powerapps.com go to apps and click on your Portal app there

finally go to your Web Page containing the Entity Form and see the behaviour there

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @OliverRodrigues  and @OOlashyn,

Please see below how the form looks on the website, this is what I meant by I can't see an attachment button! Apologies for not including this in the original question!

PortalForm.png

Kind Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,054)