Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarryPope
Level: Powered On

Authenticated Users Security Model

Hello Power Apps Portal Community,

I hope you can help please?

I've created a starter portal and now building the security model for it. I have the three out-of-the-box "Web Roles": Administrator, Authenticated User, Anonymous User.

What I'm noticing is, whenever a new Contact goes to the home page of the portal and registers, they can immediately create an Account record, and then edit the record. I would have thought that first I'd need to assign a Web Role of Authenticated User to them. I then thought that maybe this is an automatic association, but when I look at the Contact and view the related Web Role, I don't see any Web Roles there. 

So my question is, does everyone who registers, automatically get the Authenticated User Web Role and this doesn't need to be manually assigned? Or have I somehow set this up incorrectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Garry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OOlashyn
Level 8

Re: Authenticated Users Security Model

Hi @GarryPope ,

According to official docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/create-web-roles) there should always exists default role for Authenticated users. So if users doesn't have any roles this role will apply be default, but will not be shown in the Web Roles tab. And Authenticated User role that you have OOTB is configured as default role.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OOlashyn
Level 8

Hi @GarryPope ,

According to official docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/create-web-roles) there should always exists default role for Authenticated users. So if users doesn't have any roles this role will apply be default, but will not be shown in the Web Roles tab. And Authenticated User role that you have OOTB is configured as default role.

View solution in original post

GarryPope
Level: Powered On

Hello @OOlashyn,

Thanks for the quick reply! We read that document last night actually, but didn't understand why the "Web Role" of "Authenticated User" was not showing on a "Contact". So I'm glad you clarified it for me.

I was going to create a Flow that assigned "Authenticated User" Web Role to all newly created Contacts via the portal, but if the "Default" is set to "Authenticated User" then I don't see the need. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Garry

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,544)