cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RMW
Frequent Visitor

Concern with Portal Advanced Form Permissions for Anonymous Users

I have found what I think is an issue for the permissions you need to set for Advanced Forms v Basic Forms specifically for anonymous users.

Basic form - (No issue)

Custom entity allows anonymous users to create new requests.  Only table permission needed for anonymous is create.  This works.

Advanced Form - (Issue)

Same custom entity. This time two tabs on the form.  Each representing a step.  In order to navigate between the steps (next and previous) you need to also add the Write permission.  As this is anonymous and subsequently global, I am concerned that I'm opening up the internet to edit all records in this entity.  I am not exposing a specific form for edit but I'm still concerned this could be compromised.

Additionally (may be related or not), when you save the record source of step 2 to be data from previous step it does not save.

Note - my preference is Advanced form with steps as this works better for a form with lots of fields.

Conclusion

The conclusion that I draw is that if you want to use a form for Anonymous then you need to not use Advanced as this requires the write permission that allows edit on all records!

1 REPLY 1
OOlashyn
Super User
Super User

Hi @RMW,

This is not a bug. Advance Form on the first step will create a record and on the next one you will work with already created record (if you passed it as a source for the next step). That's why you need to grant Write permission for this to work on Advance Form. And because this is an anonymous user there is no way for associate the record with it - that's why you need to grant Global permission to allow to work on the second and subsequent steps. If you need to have a complex multistep form for anonymous and don't won't to give users unnecessary permissions the only way that I can see is to build the form yourself and then submit data back to the system via Portal Web API.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,002)