cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create Password Field in PowerApps Portal

Hello Experts,

I have a requirement where I need to capture the details for the user using an Table(entity)form which should contain fields for username and Password. Could anyone please suggest me how to create a password field in the entity form?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Hi, you can via JS/jQuery set the input type to Password in your Portals, on your Entity Form or Web Page, apply the following:

$("#<field id>").attr("type", "password")

I would also consider the following:

- add plug-in on the create/update to change this value to a HASH format

- add field security profile to protect the field in the Model-Driven App

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you mean you want to mask a password on the form, right?

The easiest solution is Field Level Security, I believe. You can allow “update” and “create” without giving “read” permissions. As a result, a user who is not a system administrator, and who has been assigned that kind of field security profile will see masked values when he/she will be looking at the data. 

See more: Field-level security to control access 

Hope this helps.

Sik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-siky-msft ,

Could you please suggest me how to allow “update” and “create” without giving “read” permissions? I have enabled field security for the field. But it is showing up as a text field only..

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Have you thought about how to store the password? are you storing it in a hash format or something?

Setting up Field Security Profile is very important to secure your field: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customerengagement/on-premises/developer/security-dev/u....

note that this is only applicable from the Model-Driven App level, the Portal simply ignores the Field Security Profile, so that will be visible in the Portals

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Oliver Rodrigues

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you explain what you need this for e.g. is it a password for a for a Portal user or some other system etc. 

There are also other considerations, e.g. the field should not be audit enabled, after the raw password has been entered it should be encrypted and the raw password discarded etc (typically this encryption and discarding may possibly be done using a pre-create plugin).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fubar , I need to create a password field for a different system and it should appear in the hash format while typing.. Could you suggest me how to do this?

Thank you

OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Hi, you can via JS/jQuery set the input type to Password in your Portals, on your Entity Form or Web Page, apply the following:

$("#<field id>").attr("type", "password")

I would also consider the following:

- add plug-in on the create/update to change this value to a HASH format

- add field security profile to protect the field in the Model-Driven App

Oliver Rodrigues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,687)