cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmic_Kitchen
Frequent Visitor

Creating a record in Dataverse from a redirect link?

I have an external website with all the information regarding a specific business process. I also have a Power Apps Portal page which contains a basic Insert form. The Portal page will be linked and navigated to from the external website, where a user can enter information that will be stored as a new record in Dataverse - simple enough, BUT:

There is a requirement for document upload to sharepoint with the form. I really want to keep the form to one page/one click submit. The sharepoint document location doesn't exist until the record exists, and the record doesn't exist until the user fills out the form and clicks submit. 

I'm wondering if there is a way to have it so when a user clicks the redirect link from the external website to come to my portal form, a blank record is created via Javascript or other means and they land on an edit form that will already have a document location associated with it rather than an insert form.

2 REPLIES 2
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @Cosmic_Kitchen 

The answer is complex. You can try using power automate when the user clicks on the external link. Then power automate CDS connector will create a blank record. Then using the guid retrieve the newly created record. 

Then you can upload the document. 

Havent tried but will work I think. 

Hope it helps. 
------------

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

lachlanP
Advocate I
Advocate I

Just another similar idea to @ragavanrajan,

You could create a power automate flow triggered by the insertion of the new record in your dataverse table. That way you will have the record fields available and can easily create the sharepoint document.

You could also do this by calling APIs via javascript in your portal, but it tends to get much more complicated dealing with authentication and so on. I would personally opt for a flow for this as the dataverse and sharepoint connectors work very well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Welcome Super Users.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (6,043)