cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisOrtiz
Helper II
Helper II

Custom Domain name redirects to .powerappsportals.com

I created a portal website and went through the steps provided by Microsoft to add a custom domain, this is the document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/admin/add-custom-domain.  The problem I have is that every time I type the URL, it keeps redirecting to the .powerappsportals.com which is not what I want. I had asked Microsoft service if the custom URL will be redirected to the .powerappsportals.com and they said no, so that makes me believe that there should not be any redirecting going on. The environment is a production environment. Has anyone encountered this?

15 REPLIES 15

Hi @chrisOrtiz 

The solution is simple, you should only have one CNAME record in total. So to make things clear. 

Remove all CNAME records first. 

1. Add a CNAME record with your custom domain name and in the canonical name add your actual URL. 

Type Domain Name Canonical Name TTL  
CNAME Yourcustomdomain.com yourportal.powerappsportals.com 5 min

once you have added wait for DNS to propagate. Then for sure, there will not be any redirects. 

Hope it helps. 

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

As I can see in the docs you can only assign one domain name to the Portal instance (admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com -> Portal -> Manage -> custom domain configuration). I saw that we had a www. domain registered here with an SSL binding. So this was probably why our www. domain was functioning normally and the domain without the www. subdomain didn't (it redirected automatically to powerappsportals.com).
My question is, if we register our domain here (without the www. subdomain), will this then function both with that domain and the www. subdomain (without redirects to the initial powerappsportals.com)?
I am replying to this thread because I think this is related to the posted problem and we could both benefit from the answers. Thank you for any help and please let me know if additional clarification is necessary.

Hi @FilipB 

I understand your CNAME records include the WWW? Are you sure you want it with WWW as no one is now using www commonly. As @chrisOrtiz  mentioned normally customers prefer without WWW. Even the same in our case as well. 

It is a broad topic if you need both then please follow the below thread for Permanent, temporary redirect 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5870638/how-do-i-to-forward-domain-com-to-www-domain-com-at-goda... 

Hope it helps. 

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

You are right, the www configuration was made erroneously. I think a forwarding solution like you provided should be fine. Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

chrisOrtiz
Helper II
Helper II

My domain name is no longer redirecting. It was an odd issue because the CNAME was already set on the godaddy admin without me touching it and I still had redirecting. What I did was remove it, and re-added it. What I did not know was that it takes 24 hours on godaddy side for it to take effect so that was the confusion, godaddy informed me to wait 24hrs. So I think I just needed to reset the CNAME, by that I mean that I had to remove and re-add the CNAME and allow the 24 hours to pass by. Now it work! thanks!

View solution in original post

Glad to hear that @chrisOrtiz. Would be great if you can mark it as a solution, please? So that others can benefit. Thanks for your understanding. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,865)