cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

“Default” Contact based local authentication (Form based AUTH) vs the Azure B2C authentication

Hi,

I am wondering if I can get some help in better understanding the difference between the “default” Contact based local authentication (Form based AUTH) vs the Azure B2C authentication for its use in "PowerApps Portal"?

I need to setup a PowerApps Portal for a big enterprise where there will be an external (authentication) user base of approx. 300 users to login to Portal. I have come to know from different sources including the Microsoft documentation for PowerApps Portals that the preferred method for user authentication for the PowerApps Portals is Azure AD B2C (Business to Consumer). Additionally, there are blogs written by MVPs to further suggest that the “default” contact based local authentication (Form based AUTH) is going to be soon deprecated too and hence Azure AD B2C should be used. So such confusion in place I am wondering if someone can help here on below 2 points:

1) Can someone suggest that why with the recent inclusion (OCT, 2019) of “PowerApps Portal” in the PowerApp plan, Microsoft has still kept the option of Contact based local authentication specially when everyone (MVPs? – NOT GOOD) is writing against the use of it?

2) So key question – is this method of Contact based local Auth still secure? or it could cause some issue with the security (like some sort of security hole) which could bring the name of the Enterprise down in the public. Thanks in advance for any assistance in clarifying the doubts with above 2 authentication options.

Regards, AR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: “Default” Contact based local authentication (Form based AUTH) vs the Azure B2C authentication

Hi AR,

Thank you for your post. I’d like to request that you post your question to the Dynamics 365 Power Apps Portal forum. The Portal team will have the expertise to better answer your questions. Here’s a link to the community: https://community.dynamics.com/365/f/dynamics-365-general-forum/368502/powerapps-portal

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Rory

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (10,640)