Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Display lookup field selected record from Entity A to Entity B

Hi Guys, 

I have Entity A where one of my field is set as "Option Set". This field will be selected by customer when logging in to portal.  I have another Entity called "Entity B" where my "Lookup field" is making a relationship to "Entity A". 

Summary: 

Entity A = "MyCustomEntity"

Entity B = Contacts (Inbuilt Entity) - Using profile web form as my main form to fill the profile details as soon customer login to the portal. 

To Achieve: 

I wanted to display the value of "Entity A" in "Entity B lookup field". ( Similar to a simple referencing column in Excel). 

Problem: 

My Entity B lookup field is added in the form but always displaying as a pickup column similar to below and I can see the value selected in Entity A.   I need to click the search button to see my selected value. 

ragavanrajan_0-1599470979671.png

But what I need is a simple referencing value from Entity A. 

ragavanrajan_1-1599471139796.png

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Display lookup field selected record from Entity A to Entity B

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

Do you want to populate the LookUp field in your Entity B form with selected record from your Entity A?

How do you select record from your Entity A? Could you please show more details about?

If you want to select Entity A record, and then navigate to the Entity B Form page along with the selected Entity A, and then populate the LookUp field, please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://www.cloudfronts.com/prepopulating-lookup-dropdown-fields-form-d365-crm-portals-using-js/

https://www.briteglobal.com/blogs/community/pass-parameters-between-entity-forms/

Please try above solution (using JavaScript), then check if the issue is solved.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @ragavanrajan,

If this is intended to just be a snapshot of the selection on Entity B of Entity A's data, you want to utilize a Quick View Form. This assumes a few things:

1. Entity B has a lookup pointing to Entity A (you said it was pointing to Entity A's Option Set.. unsure what this means)
  2. Entity B's lookup to Entity A is already filled in when the user opens the page
  3. You want this to remain read-only on Entity B

In Entity A, add a new Quick View form.

justinburch_0-1599500133607.png

Add the Option Set field

Add the Quick view form to Entity B (apologies.. my environment is locked up currently so no screenshots)

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thanks @justinburch  for your reply. I have added few more details to my question to get more clarity. 

The given solution will not work for my scenario because Entity B is a Inbuilt entity (Contacts) and I am using profile web form to allow users to fill their profile details.  Is there any way to achieve this ? 

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @ragavanrajan,

You can still edit the form. An example, I've added the lookup to Account (Entity A) on Contact (Entity B) and a quick view of info from Account. Note that Account can be made read-only, and then users can't change it.

justinburch_0-1599530576344.png

Profile Web Form in designer:

justinburch_3-1599530746422.png

justinburch_1-1599530705675.png

justinburch_2-1599530717018.png

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

Do you want to populate the LookUp field in your Entity B form with selected record from your Entity A?

How do you select record from your Entity A? Could you please show more details about?

If you want to select Entity A record, and then navigate to the Entity B Form page along with the selected Entity A, and then populate the LookUp field, please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://www.cloudfronts.com/prepopulating-lookup-dropdown-fields-form-d365-crm-portals-using-js/

https://www.briteglobal.com/blogs/community/pass-parameters-between-entity-forms/

Please try above solution (using JavaScript), then check if the issue is solved.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thanks again Justin for your reply. Still I have no joy. Looks like I have messed up something. Will work it out and let you know the outcome.
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

Have you taken a try with the solution I provided above? Is it helpful?

Please also consider take a try with the solution I provided above, check if it is helpful in your scenario. If you have some issue with it, please let me know here.

Regards,

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @v-xida-msft  Sure thing. I am already trying your solution as well. Got struck in the liquid tags but will get on to it and post you the update soon. Thanks for your help. 

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @ragavanrajan,

Just for clarity, @v-xida-msft's solution is basically to "pre-fill a lookup on Entity A with the value of Entity B, so when a user loads the form they don't have to Search for it" - it's hard to tell if this is your requirement or not.

Can you clarify the following?

1. Is Entity B (custom entity) updated on the profile by the portal user filling out the profile, or within a system process/system user?
  2. Are you just trying to show the value of Entity A and not allow the user to choose it?
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

Have you tried the solution I provided above? Is it helpful?

Please tried the solution I provided above, then check if it could help in your scenario.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (7,542)