Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Entity List Metadata Filter is not working properly

Hi Experts,

I am trying to filter the entity list using a metadata filter but sometimes it is not working properly.  

In the metadata filter, I have included one radio button attribute filter set and one text filter (for a date, I am using date picker using Html js code and also on change of that date picker I am updating that date text to filter my data).

There is one page where I have a form created in "Student_Site_Default" Entity, this entity is storing the default of some fields and once the data is inserted by the user then a automate flow trigger to insert all the student data for that site for that day in another entity i.e "Student_Daily_Activity". 

Filter IssueFilter Issue

I have created Entity List on top of "Student_Daily_Activity" Entity and added metadata filter. 

Example of scenario where the filter is not working:

1. From "Student_Site_Default" Web page I insert data for Site A and Date (9/23/2020), which store in "Student_Site_Default" Entity. And user navigated to "Student_Daily_Activity" web page where an Entity List is there which display all the data coming from "Student_Daily_Activity" Entity.

2. Now a power automate flow is trigger once data is inserted. trigger take around 5-10 sec. to load the data for all he student associated with Site A in Entity "Student_Daily_Activity".

3. In the "Student_Daily_Activity" Web page I am populating the Default date and select "In/After School" radio button based on the default data inserted from  "Student_Site_Default" web page.

4. When Page refresh and after 15 sec I click on "Filter data" button then also data is not filtering/showing for those combinations. I can see that data is populated by automate flow in the Entity but still is it is not showing upon click on filter data.

Filters In web page for Entity ListFilters In web page for Entity List

I have checked the "Enable Change Tracing" for that Entity. I am feeling like it may be a cache issue or something is wrong with the Entity list or Filter.

Please help me with this issue.

Any Help will be appreciable.

Thanks,

Amit

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Re: Entity List Metadata Filter is not working properly

Hi @AmitSah,

I would absolutely agree that it's most likely a cache issue. I've talked about some of the issues caused with any asynchronous updates, as well as some of the oddities of the views (which you could try testing against this list) on my last post: https://justinburch.com/cache-tips 

One way to test is the approach mentioned there on changing the sort order. Another way you could verify this issue on your end is by resetting the cache as soon as you encounter the issue and see if the data now reflects correctly.

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @justinburch 

Thanks for your response!

I have gone through your post and it's really good. But still I can't find a proper way to resolve the issue. 

I can't tell the end user to change the sort order first and then click on filter data button to filter the data in entity list. 

Is there any proper and full prove solution to fix this issue?

Any help or guidance will be really helpful. This issue is taking my head off 😂.

Thanks,

Amiy

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @AmitSah,

If you've confirmed via those steps that it's definitely the cache, the only real options are to try to make the changes synchronous or use the JS trick to bypass the cache. This would mean moving away from Power Automate and either using real-time workflows (with custom Workflows Steps, since you'll be working with child records in your use case) or synchronous plugins registered on a post-create step, or create a custom HTML table to show the filterable table and use JavaScript to retrieve the dataset on load. For the latter, you can look into jQuery's DataTables library to quickly add styling, pagination, and some filtering options.

Note that all of this comes from years of personal experience, and though they don't explicitly claim this won't work when done synchronously, Microsoft simply recommends against any processing outside of direct portal configurations or updates: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/caching-changes-for-power-apps-portals-with-version-9-2-6...

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @justinburch 

Thanks for all the answers!

I have raised a support ticket for the same, Lets see what I get from there.

But for now, I have used one workaround to resolve the caching issue by creating on fectxml metadata filter and used "ne" and created on the custom button where on click on that custom button I am setting a dt (var dt =new date(); ) variable value and then click on the actual button to clear the cache. By this way on every click of custom button new date with timestamp is setting to that fetchxml filter input and it is clearing the cache.

But I think there should be a proper OOTB feature which does this kind of thing

Thanks,

Amit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (6,408)