cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

How to migrate Power App Portal from one Tenant to Another / One Environment to another

Hi Experts,

I have gone through google search on the requirement and got below some blogs and MS doc but I am a little confused/Not clear on some points.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Portals/PowerApps-Portal-Deployment/td-p/436058

https://medium.com/shriyadhar/migrating-powerapps-portal-to-a-different-environment-39265eee6c3

https://knowhere365.space/power-apps-migrate-your-portal-between-environments/

1. How can I do migration from one Tenant to Another, because in this MS Doc it is mentioned that the power apps portal doesn't support that?

2. For migrating in the same Tenant, We have to create a Blank Portal with the same or different name in the destination/target environment?

3. While migrating from one environment to another in the same Tenant, we need to create a Solution in source environment where I have to include all the Custom entities and its fields, forms, view. Along with that do we need to include the Portal related entities and its forms, view. like Web Page, Web Template entities? Basically when we create this solution and export it and import it in the destination environment then it will act as a metadata migration ( like all the backbone/skeleton of the developed portal will be present, not the data)

4. And to migrate the data and configuration files, customization, JS, CSS etc we have to use Configuration Manager from the XRM tool to migrate it.

Please correct my steps if I am wrong somewhere.

Also, I am a little concerned about Tenant to Tenant Migration.

Any Help will be appreciable.

Thanks,

Amit

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Re: How to migrate Power App Portal from one Tenant to Another / One Environment to another

Hi @AmitSah,

1. How can I do migration from one Tenant to Another, because in this MS Doc it is mentioned that the power apps portal doesn't support that?

You can use the Configuration Migration Tool or XrmToolBox's Portal Records Mover - please see my page on my website for my thoughts on both options, and you will find plenty of articles explaining how to use either one. As far as the solution files, this must be done via enabling a Portal in the Admin Center, as the Portal is connected to an Azure-based web app that will only be created if proper steps are followed - do not attempt to only install the solutions if you need a working Portal.

2. For migrating in the same Tenant, We have to create a Blank Portal with the same or different name in the destination/target environment?

When you enable the Portal for the new tenant, use the same Portal (Custom, Customer Service, Employee Self-Service, etc) as the source tenant - the default records will automatically create with the same GUIDs. This is important, so that when you move your changes you do not have duplicates.

3. While migrating from one environment to another in the same Tenant, we need to create a Solution in source environment where I have to include all the Custom entities and its fields, forms, view. Along with that do we need to include the Portal related entities and its forms, view. like Web Page, Web Template entities? Basically when we create this solution and export it and import it in the destination environment then it will act as a metadata migration ( like all the backbone/skeleton of the developed portal will be present, not the data)

The solution will not include the Portal data (Web Pages, Web Files, etc.) - enable Portals via the Admin Center (each has a separate cost), and use the CFM or XrmToolBox indicated in my response to #1

4. And to migrate the data and configuration files, customization, JS, CSS etc we have to use Configuration Manager from the XRM tool to migrate it.

Correct, or the XrmToolBox tool

Tenant to tenant and org to org won't matter - you need the same Portal type installed, and you need all configurations and customizations in source and target. Then move your Portal records and you won't have any issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (7,381)