cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How to set a lookup in a form for a virtual entity field text?

Hi guys, I'm learning CRM coming from ERP, I'm working on a PoC of Portals with Virtual entities and I have a problem. Many of fields on entities doesn't have relations with other entities on external source, SO the virtual entity is created mapping the field as single line text, Now I need a trick to do a lookup to another VE for this fields on forms. The problem is that I can't change the definition of the field, because this is created under a solution managed by Microsoft, and If i add a new relation between the entities, a new field is created for relation, I need to store the value in the original field, because this VE can do CRUD operations on external datasource. So I know you are expert working on workarounds, I search on blogs and seem that exists many ways to achieve this, what you consider could be the most simple solution thinking that probably i will need to do this for many fields. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: How to set a lookup in a form for a virtual entity field text?

Hi @hubertg 

Are your related fields to another VE or a normal Entity? it has been a while that I don't play with VE, not sure you can a lookup to another VE

this might be a question for the CDS forum: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Common-Data-Service-for-Apps/bd-p/CDS_Apps

my initial recommendation would be adding new fields as lookup and if needed populate via API/console app or Advanced Find if there isn't a lot of records

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: How to set a lookup in a form for a virtual entity field text?

Hi Oliver, thank you for your response. I try to do a custom plugin but CDS don't allow registrations for VE,  I think that resolve this problem in CDS is not simple.  So at the end It's necessary to add all the necessary relations on external entity, this mode the provider will create the metadata with lookups fields correctly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (6,762)