cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BKOrange
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible (modifying forms in portals from canvas app)? Before I run down too many rabbit holes.

Hello everyone!

I have a question about if what I'm trying to do is possible, before I run down too many rabbit holes. 

I've built an Employee Management app that I would like to connect a portal to. The portal would be for employees to log in and answer their availability (via a form), and eventually see their schedule.  However, I would like the ability for Managers to be able to modify some of the form questions from within the app. I don't want to hardcode/create a new form every time a new list of events is produced. 
The manager using the app would select which events they want to appear in the survey form for which depts/roles that survey is for. Employees would be able to visit the portal and answer which events they are available for. 

I've been using PowerApps for about 2 years and consider myself to be somewhat confident now in building canvas solutions. What I need can be built in PowerApps in an hour, but it's not feasible to buy PowerApps accounts for hundreds of guests for the sake of basically a fancy employee-tailored survey form. I'm just discovering portals and I'm a little lost in now to achieve similar results. 

I need to find an elegant way to close this loop.  Any insight would be appreciated. Not looking for someone to build this for me, just need some guidance in the right direction. 

Let me know if I need to clarify further. 

Thanks for reading!

2 REPLIES 2
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @BKOrange , 

This is my personal view based on your problem described. If you are trying to embed your canvas app into portal and allow guest users to access it. I believe this would still require a license because canvas powerapps forms will be consuming internal license. 

For your event scenario. You can simply use powerapps portal and create different web roles and apply entity permissions for your forms and allow managers to choose which events they want to appear in the entity form.  This way you can allow guest users by paying only the add-on licensing cost. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/powerapps-flow-licensing-faq#can-you-share-mor...) either by page views or login capacity authenticated. 

Hope this give you some ideas. 

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If the users are internal to your organisation (you say Employees) you will still need to licence them if using PowerApps Portal.  The 'free er' (but not free) is for external users.

Is having custom questions that you add/update via a Canvas App surface on the PowerApps Portal? Yes - but the specifics of how to do it depend on your questions - it could be as simple as putting a subgrid on an Entity Form with another entity form to answer the question - but could be really complex where you want different answer types like Yes/No, Text areas etc etc or if you put in skip logic.

Both Canvas App and PowerApps Portal utilse DataVerse/CDS as a datasource.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Users online (81,639)