cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgiljohann
Frequent Visitor

Offline Sync in Portals

I am wondering if it is possible to have an offline sync feature for Power Apps Portals. I know this is possible with Canvas apps, but am wondering if it is possible for Portals.

I have an app that is for many external users that I need offline capabilities for, and am wondering the best licensing structure, with the key being that I need that offline sync capability.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @rgiljohann ,

In my presentation that was mentioned by @OliverRodrigues I am showing on how to transform portal to Progressive Web App. You can find more about Progressive Web Apps here and in my presentation itself. Regarding saving data offline - yes you can save data of the user and then sync it back when user will be online, but I didn't show how to do it. However, you might have issues with OOTB forms as for working offline you need to prefetch and save pages locally and forms especially the ones that will have lookups will definitely have issue offline. One way around I can see is create special offline pages with custom forms to be able to save data more easily, but this require additional development.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Fubar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

PowerApps Portal does not run offline.

OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

Hi, take a look at this video from @OOlashyn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLN1zHJr50E

is not a full offline, but is the closest as we can get

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Pages Super User | MVP

Oliver Rodrigues

Thanks... This looks like it could work. You mentioned not full offline capability, but it appears that the user would be able to fill in a form, and then have that sync to the database when they are back online. 

Did I get that right? Do you know what normal offline capabilities would not work? All I really need is the ability for the user to fill the form and then sync when back online.

OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

I haven't tried that myself, just saw his presentation, he uploaded another video as well as the source code used as he had issues during the live demo, see if it helps: https://www.dancingwithcrm.com/powerapps-portal-pwa/

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Pages Super User | MVP

Oliver Rodrigues

Hi @rgiljohann ,

In my presentation that was mentioned by @OliverRodrigues I am showing on how to transform portal to Progressive Web App. You can find more about Progressive Web Apps here and in my presentation itself. Regarding saving data offline - yes you can save data of the user and then sync it back when user will be online, but I didn't show how to do it. However, you might have issues with OOTB forms as for working offline you need to prefetch and save pages locally and forms especially the ones that will have lookups will definitely have issue offline. One way around I can see is create special offline pages with custom forms to be able to save data more easily, but this require additional development.

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
rgiljohann
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, this is all very helpful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (2,919)