cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvanvick
Level: Powered On

Portal invitations

So while testing out the B2C integration I'm also testing how invitations for the contacts works, and it seems pretty clunky.  The biggest thing I've seen so far is that if I send the invite to user A, User B can use that invite code to join.  Am I missing something here?  I know that you can set the invite code to expire, but it seems like an invite should be tied to a contact.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Portal invitations

Hi @tvanvick ,

Do you want to send a invite code to a specific user (contact) to join your PowerApps Portal?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding on the invitation code in PowerApps Portal. Each one invitation code in PowerApps portal is only bind to single one contact. The invitation code and corresponding Contact info is stored in Invitations form in your Portal Management:7.JPG

If you sent a invitation code to User A, the invitation code would be generated based on User A's email. When User A sign in your PowerApps portal with the received invitation code, the email value would be populated as below:6.JPG

Even though, the User B get the User A's invitation code, and use it to sign in your Portal, the above email box would still be User A's email rather than User B's. If User B change the email box value to his own, he would not be able to register in your Portal. Unless, the User B know the password of the User A's email, he could not register your Portal with User A's invitation code.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tvanvick

Thank you so much for looking into this!   So in your environment, create a 2nd and 3rd user and generate the invitations (but don't use the emails).  From my testing I was able to take the invite code from user 3 in this case and register user 2 with that code.  Does it do that for you?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tvanvick ,

Do you not add a Contact within the Contacts form in your Portal Management without proper email address?

If you add a Contact within the Contacts Form in your Portal Management without providing email address, I think your thought is right. The User A could use the User B's invitation code to register your Portal.

Note: The User A and User B in your Portal Managenent do not specify a proper email address.

As an alternative solution, you could consider edit the Contact Entity in your CDS within current PowerApps environment, then enable the "Required" property for the Email field.

Then within your Portal Management, click "Settings"-> "Advanced settings", then select Settings->Customizations, then click "Customize the system", find the Contact Entity under the Entities, and expand the Contact Entity, choose Forms, then select the Portal Contact form, within there, you could re-customize your Portal Contact form, remove the Email field, then re-add it again, check if the Email has been set as Required.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tvanvick

Yes contacts have correct email addresses.  Also this is a fresh OOTB instance for Dynamics along with Portal (ie no customizations).  I just setup a 2nd portal and tried again.  Using the invitation code for a new user, I was able to register using that code with a different email address and name from the name/email address tied to the invitation.  

From what you are saying, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but the invite code should be tied to the contact information in the invitation.  My testing in 2 different environments is showing me that it's not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,725)