Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Portal lifecycle and licencing

Hi all, 

I created a Portal in out sandbox environment and it will expire in 9 days so I have to convert it to production but I am so confused because of the indistinct documentation of Microsoft. The issues are: 

1. I have to convert the portal in sandbox from trial to production but Microsoft says: "When converting a portal from trial to production, you must ensure that the environment is also a production environment. You can't convert a trial portal to a production portal in a trial environment." Does that mean that I can't convert the portal to production in the sandbox environment? If yes, how should I keep the portal alive that I can continue developing the portal?
  2. Do I need to buy any Licence before I convert the portal to production (We have Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan which includes PowerApps for Dynamics 365)
  3. We don't want to buy any capacity or log-in add-ons before we are finished with the development. So the portal will be only accesible for internel users (4 users for development purposes). Do I need to buy Power apps per app plan or Power apps per user plan for this scenario or is my Dnamics 365 CE Plan enough for the internal users?
  4. I want to create the same portal type in Production environment and deploy changes regularly. How does this effect the licencing? Should I buy extra licences for example an extra Power apps per app plan for that? 
  5. We don't use Azure AD authentification at the moment because we don't have Azure AD B2C tenant. Can these 4 users access portal via local authentification without buying a log-in capacity add-on if they have admin web roles in the portal? Or should we configure Azure AD B2C tenant to have internal access withoud add-on? 

Thanks in advance for clearing up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @selimdag ,

Find my answer in italic for each question

1. I have to convert the portal in sandbox from trial to production but Microsoft says: "When converting a portal from trial to production, you must ensure that the environment is also a production environment. You can't convert a trial portal to a production portal in a trial environment." Does that mean that I can't convert the portal to production in the sandbox environment? If yes, how should I keep the portal alive that I can continue developing the portal?

------You can convert your linked portal to Production in this case. The only reason Microsoft recommends not converting a newly created (Trial)Portal to Prod Portal is because a Trial instance expires after 30 days and you will loose your valid license for a portal as it will give server error after the connected org expires

2. Do I need to buy any Licence before I convert the portal to production (We have Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Plan which includes PowerApps for Dynamics 365)

------If you have an available Add-on already, no need to buy a new license. CE Plan is discontinued, however until you need to renew your license, you do not have to buy the PowerApps Plan (Portal Add on is now within the PowerApps Plan)

3. We don't want to buy any capacity or log-in add-ons before we are finished with the development. So the portal will be only accessible for internal users (4 users for development purposes). Do I need to buy Power apps per app plan or Power apps per user plan for this scenario or is my Dynamics 365 CE Plan enough for the internal users?

------Your Dynamics CE Plan is capable of meeting your requirements

4. I want to create the same portal type in Production environment and deploy changes regularly. How does this effect the licencing? Should I buy extra licences for example an extra Power apps per app plan for that? 

------Try creating a new Portal connected with Production Env and convert it, if your receive an error for unavailable license, you need to get a new license( Power apps per app) for portal [you will not receive the error if you have the valid CE license]

5. We don't use Azure AD authentication at the moment because we don't have Azure AD B2C tenant. Can these 4 users access portal via local authentication without buying a log-in capacity add-on if they have admin web roles in the portal? Or should we configure Azure AD B2C tenant to have internal access withoud add-on?

------Azure AD authentication is an Out-of-Box feature for Portals. You only need an Azure AD B2C tenant if you want to have B2B/B2C configuration.

Azure AD allows all CRM licensed users to use this option to authenticate to Portal without any additional configuration.

Mark as solution if this answers your query.

Regards,

Pranjali

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello @selimdag ,

Find my answer in italic for each question

1. I have to convert the portal in sandbox from trial to production but Microsoft says: "When converting a portal from trial to production, you must ensure that the environment is also a production environment. You can't convert a trial portal to a production portal in a trial environment." Does that mean that I can't convert the portal to production in the sandbox environment? If yes, how should I keep the portal alive that I can continue developing the portal?

------You can convert your linked portal to Production in this case. The only reason Microsoft recommends not converting a newly created (Trial)Portal to Prod Portal is because a Trial instance expires after 30 days and you will loose your valid license for a portal as it will give server error after the connected org expires

------If you have an available Add-on already, no need to buy a new license. CE Plan is discontinued, however until you need to renew your license, you do not have to buy the PowerApps Plan (Portal Add on is now within the PowerApps Plan)

3. We don't want to buy any capacity or log-in add-ons before we are finished with the development. So the portal will be only accessible for internal users (4 users for development purposes). Do I need to buy Power apps per app plan or Power apps per user plan for this scenario or is my Dynamics 365 CE Plan enough for the internal users?

------Your Dynamics CE Plan is capable of meeting your requirements

------Try creating a new Portal connected with Production Env and convert it, if your receive an error for unavailable license, you need to get a new license( Power apps per app) for portal [you will not receive the error if you have the valid CE license]

5. We don't use Azure AD authentication at the moment because we don't have Azure AD B2C tenant. Can these 4 users access portal via local authentication without buying a log-in capacity add-on if they have admin web roles in the portal? Or should we configure Azure AD B2C tenant to have internal access withoud add-on?

------Azure AD authentication is an Out-of-Box feature for Portals. You only need an Azure AD B2C tenant if you want to have B2B/B2C configuration.

Azure AD allows all CRM licensed users to use this option to authenticate to Portal without any additional configuration.

Mark as solution if this answers your query.

Regards,

Pranjali

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Users online (10,336)