cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Portal useable but not editable after Reset, Solution deletion, and Re-provisioning: An error occurred while provisioning. You can contact Microsoft support if this issue persists.​

Hello

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

I am trying to try out PowerApps Portals.
I already submitted a Mindtree support request for this.
I am also posting here just in case someone knowledgeable is found faster here.

I had created one "Portal from Blank".
But after a few minutes in the new Studio I made a mistake.
I accidentally deleted the main label from the titlebar/header.
I didn't know how to undo this.

So I followed the instructions here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/portals/portal-faq#how-do-i-delete-a-portal-completely-...
to try to restart with a fresh "Portal from Blank".

1. I first deleted the Portal from the App listing.
    This made the Portal URL nonfunctional.
  2. Then I removed all managed Portals solutions.
    This made the Dynamics Portals model-based App and the CDS entries go away.

Then I recreated the "Portal from Blank" with the same URL.
image.png
The Portal (with the default example pages) seems to be provisioned and working again
image.png
As far as I can tell, all the example pages, embedded forms, and polls are working.

But, I don't seem to able to edit the Portal.
When I try to edit it this Portal App, I only get the nondescript error:
An error occurred while provisioning. You can contact Microsoft support if this issue persists.​
image.png

How do I reset my Portal to Blank AND editable?

Thank you,
    Sa Wu.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SaWu , I had sent you some steps in reply to the message to troubleshoot this. Did you get a chance to try those out?

View solution in original post

SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi

After sharing more details and URLs to @sandeepd  he replied to me with this:

Hi @SaWu 

We have checked and it seems that this portal on opening in the studio is failing on the step to create a contact record. The error we see is that 

The email "portaluser@powerappsportals.com" is already taken.

There is a dummy contact that is created in CDS for some of the studio aspects to function. And the above error usually happens when someone alters the username of that contact record. You can try 2 things here

1. Try to update the email address of this contact record (with the above mentioned email address) in CDS to something else and re-open the studio. 

2. or If this is your non-production / business critical instance, you can also try deleting this particular contact record (with the above mentioned email address) in CDS and retry opening the studio? The contact record is re-created if there is none found. 

This suggestion worked for me.
I found the automatically created users and deleted the portaluser.
grafik.png
Afterwards the Studio loaded as intended.
grafik.png
Also please note that there is a fix for this problem in the works:

@SaWu - Glad this worked out for you. Yes you can share the details of how it worked out on forum. Just so you know we are actually fixing this issue that if that contact is not found by username or email only then we attempt to create it else not.

@sandeepd, may I ask you my current last question, how to best reset a Portal of a fixed URL to a Blank state?

I am still trying to figure out how Portals work in the first place, which things I can edit in the Studio, which things I can currently edit via the CDS records, for which things I need liquid, which parts are okay with just css...
Currently, I seem to be easily able to misclick, mis-configure things, or delete stuff in both the Portals Studio and the model driven App.
For example, after getting this working again with your suggestion, I now accidentally deleted the table-of-contents Website from CDS and can't seem to able to configure it back to it's working state.
There seems to be no way to undo changes in either the Studio or in the model driven App so if I make mistakes (I sometimes do), I'm basically **bleep**ed.

My current version to start fresh would be

1. Remove Portal
  2. Remove Portal Solutions (this removes the CDS entries that I accidentally messed up)
  3. Remove portualuser Contact
  4. Re-create Portal
  5. Wait for new-provisioning

The documentation confuses me in this aspect as this documentation suggests that resetting a portal DOES NOT REMOVE the actual websites, templates, snippets of the deleted/reset portal
grafik.pnggrafik.pnggrafik.png
However previous answers and this
grafik.png

speak of refreshing and purging of resources.
I guess that means that "previous resources" does not contain previous configurations/websites/mistakes/**bleep**ups but I would be glad for confirmation of my guess.
And I would prefer a simpler solution to start anew or undo something.

Thank you and best of regards,
    Sa.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SaWu ,

The reason why you met this problem is that:

If you are reusing the URL of a recently deleted portal to create a new portal, it will have some delay for runtime to setup. This is because the purge of previous resources would still be in progress and may take from 30 minutes to 1 hour for the new portal to setup on Azure. The portal will also not be available for editing during this time and may show errors when launched in studio for editing.

So you just need to wait for some time, the portal will become available again.

Here's a doc about this for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/known-issues

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @SaWu  - Yes, as @v-yutliu-msft suggested re-creating a portal with the same URL can take time to be functional in the studio. If it has already been a longer time that you have been seeing this, then I'd be interested to understand why this is happening for you. Please send me a direct message with your portal URL and I'll try to help you fix this.  

Ashish2012
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Wait for sometime to get the portal refresh from Azure.
Here are the list of know issues on the Portal.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/known-issues
SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello @v-yutliu-msft , @sandeepd , and @Ashish2012 

Thanks for your reply and explaination(s).
It(they) sound perfectly reasonable for me.

Unfortunately for me, 30min-1hour or sometime (with sometime smaller than little less than 3 days) does not seem to apply to my particular portal, which was created on December 6 and by now, December 9, still isn't editable.
image.pngimage.png

@sandeepd, I'll send you a separate message with more details and URLs and such.

Thanks a lot and best of regards,
     Sa.

Hi @SaWu , I had sent you some steps in reply to the message to troubleshoot this. Did you get a chance to try those out?

SaWu
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi

After sharing more details and URLs to @sandeepd  he replied to me with this:

Hi @SaWu 

We have checked and it seems that this portal on opening in the studio is failing on the step to create a contact record. The error we see is that 

The email "portaluser@powerappsportals.com" is already taken.

There is a dummy contact that is created in CDS for some of the studio aspects to function. And the above error usually happens when someone alters the username of that contact record. You can try 2 things here

1. Try to update the email address of this contact record (with the above mentioned email address) in CDS to something else and re-open the studio. 

2. or If this is your non-production / business critical instance, you can also try deleting this particular contact record (with the above mentioned email address) in CDS and retry opening the studio? The contact record is re-created if there is none found. 

This suggestion worked for me.
I found the automatically created users and deleted the portaluser.
grafik.png
Afterwards the Studio loaded as intended.
grafik.png
Also please note that there is a fix for this problem in the works:

@SaWu - Glad this worked out for you. Yes you can share the details of how it worked out on forum. Just so you know we are actually fixing this issue that if that contact is not found by username or email only then we attempt to create it else not.

@sandeepd, may I ask you my current last question, how to best reset a Portal of a fixed URL to a Blank state?

I am still trying to figure out how Portals work in the first place, which things I can edit in the Studio, which things I can currently edit via the CDS records, for which things I need liquid, which parts are okay with just css...
Currently, I seem to be easily able to misclick, mis-configure things, or delete stuff in both the Portals Studio and the model driven App.
For example, after getting this working again with your suggestion, I now accidentally deleted the table-of-contents Website from CDS and can't seem to able to configure it back to it's working state.
There seems to be no way to undo changes in either the Studio or in the model driven App so if I make mistakes (I sometimes do), I'm basically **bleep**ed.

My current version to start fresh would be

1. Remove Portal
  2. Remove Portal Solutions (this removes the CDS entries that I accidentally messed up)
  3. Remove portualuser Contact
  4. Re-create Portal
  5. Wait for new-provisioning

The documentation confuses me in this aspect as this documentation suggests that resetting a portal DOES NOT REMOVE the actual websites, templates, snippets of the deleted/reset portal
grafik.pnggrafik.pnggrafik.png
However previous answers and this
grafik.png

speak of refreshing and purging of resources.
I guess that means that "previous resources" does not contain previous configurations/websites/mistakes/**bleep**ups but I would be glad for confirmation of my guess.
And I would prefer a simpler solution to start anew or undo something.

Thank you and best of regards,
    Sa.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!    

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,419)