cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jesserboy2020
Frequent Visitor

Power Apps Portal Capabilities - Canvas Apps

Hello Community!

Currently, I'm working on a solution to create a multi-page form, and made the mistake of creating it within a Canvas App. 

I've recently learned that we need this form to be accessible by essentially random users, and we're exploring a portal option. 

Does Portal have the capability to navigate an work like a canvas app? 

If I didn't explain my question well, don't hesitate to ask me more questions! 

Thank you so much for all your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User III
Super User III

@Jesserboy2020 

The biggest difference between a portal app and a canvas app is that a portal app works against a CDS database. The web form and other data access controls are designed to work against a CDS database and it isn't as easy to connect to other data sources (compared to a canvas app).

The development experience of building a portal app aligns more closely with traditional web development. It would be beneficial to have knowledge of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Unlike a canvas app, you wouldn't build functionality with formula.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
timl
Super User III
Super User III

@Jesserboy2020 

The biggest difference between a portal app and a canvas app is that a portal app works against a CDS database. The web form and other data access controls are designed to work against a CDS database and it isn't as easy to connect to other data sources (compared to a canvas app).

The development experience of building a portal app aligns more closely with traditional web development. It would be beneficial to have knowledge of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS. Unlike a canvas app, you wouldn't build functionality with formula.

View solution in original post

If you are looking for a multi page form you will want to look at web forms.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/web-form-properties

Portals also has a different security model.  You give access to users that do not have PA app licensees directly.  (you still need to have page view and if the user is authenticating licenses for this)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza Winner Announcement

Please join us on Wednesday, July 21st at 8a PDT. We will be announcing the Winners of the Demo Extravaganza!

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,298)