Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nguhoa
Microsoft
Microsoft

Power Apps Portal Form issue

Hi Team

I have few questions on Power Apps Portal Forms:

1. Is there any way to show the edit form for specific record without link it to the list? If yes, how can I do it?
Currently, I only can see the edit for a row of table if I define record source type is "query string" and i only see data in this edit form through the list.

2. I have an advanced form with multiple survey steps. In setting I have "Start New Session On Load" is No, "Multiple Records Per User Permitted" is No. I only see that before I click submit button, my progress questions is save as 1 record. However, after I submitted the survey and open the advanced form again, I don't see the response that I insert in previous submission. The table also created new record. Now I have 2 records: 1 for previous submission and another one for my current opening the survey. Is this a bug? Since I expect "Multiple Records Per User Permitted" mean that I only have 1 record per user. Or is there other settings that I missed here?

3. In advanced form, is there anyway for me to jump in the question that I want, instead of click previous or next to go 1 question at a time? It is not convenient when we have like 50 questions.

4. When I make a field in advanced form is "read only", at loading page time, I have JavaScript to pass value to this field. However after submit the form, the field value is not saved to the table. If I change the field to normal (remove read only property), it save correctly. Is this by design or is there a way for me to pass value in "read only" mode?

5. Is there a way to change layout of a form view like from vertical to horizonal view?

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
justinburch
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @nguhoa,

Some responses to your questions here while waiting for any of the community experts to chime in:

@nguhoa wrote:

Hi Team

1. Is there any way to show the edit form for specific record without link it to the list? If yes, how can I do it?
Currently, I only can see the edit for a row of table if I define record source type is "query string" and i only see data in this edit form through the list.

You can see any record you have permissions to by using the identifier in the Basic Form setup. If the Basic Form is set to Query String with identifier "id", then you can edit a record by entering the GUID of the record in the URL within the ?id= parameter. This way, even if your list of records filters out a specific record, you can still navigate to it.

2. I have an advanced form with multiple survey steps. In setting I have "Start New Session On Load" is No, "Multiple Records Per User Permitted" is No. I only see that before I click submit button, my progress questions is save as 1 record. However, after I submitted the survey and open the advanced form again, I don't see the response that I insert in previous submission. The table also created new record. Now I have 2 records: 1 for previous submission and another one for my current opening the survey. Is this a bug? Since I expect "Multiple Records Per User Permitted" mean that I only have 1 record per user. Or is there other settings that I missed here?

I've never been a big fan of Advanced Forms (P.K.A. Web Forms), as they have a lot of nuances that don't seem to work when I want them to. As such, I'm not as familiar with this setup.. it could be that "submitting" an Advanced Form considers that record complete, but it sounds more like a bug to me. Some of the community experts may be able to speak more to it here.

3. In advanced form, is there anyway for me to jump in the question that I want, instead of click previous or next to go 1 question at a time? It is not convenient when we have like 50 questions.

There is not, and has been one of my biggest gripes. There are blogs out there recommending ways of querying for specific Web Form Step IDs (Advanced Form Steps?) to jump navigation, but I have not tried to implement them. For these reasons, I often come up with creative solutions using Basic Forms. This would also require some custom work, though.

4. When I make a field in advanced form is "read only", at loading page time, I have JavaScript to pass value to this field. However after submit the form, the field value is not saved to the table. If I change the field to normal (remove read only property), it save correctly. Is this by design or is there a way for me to pass value in "read only" mode?

How are you passing the value? Are you just changing the "value" attribute of the span? The form submit likely requires specific input setups, and when you set a field read-only at the server side then it often comes in as a completely different HTML element within the Portal. A couple of possible solutions:

1. Use JS to add your data and then "disable" the input on document ready
  2. Use Basic Form Metadata to add the class "hidden" to the element, then use JS on document ready to insert a span with the value on document ready
  3. Does the data need to be shown at all? If not, you can just put the field in a section and use CSS/JS to hide the section (or just hide that particular cell) so the users don't see it

Some of these can be done with some of the code snippets I've added here: Code Snippets | Justin Burch

5. Is there a way to change layout of a form view like from vertical to horizonal view?

Your Portal forms will match your Dataverse forms, so there's no easy way to change the look & feel of the "entityform" object. It comes as its own standard HTML setup (in other words, even if you have a Web Template with just an entity/web form, it'll come with HTML and libraries). You can always use JS libraries or customization to replace it (please ping me separately if you'd like to see an internal example of how much this can be utilized; just note it tends to be a lot of work!).

Thanks

I hope this helps!

Justin

View solution in original post

nguhoa
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thanks Justin for your detail answer and sharing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
justinburch
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @nguhoa,

Some responses to your questions here while waiting for any of the community experts to chime in:

@nguhoa wrote:

Hi Team

You can see any record you have permissions to by using the identifier in the Basic Form setup. If the Basic Form is set to Query String with identifier "id", then you can edit a record by entering the GUID of the record in the URL within the ?id= parameter. This way, even if your list of records filters out a specific record, you can still navigate to it.

I've never been a big fan of Advanced Forms (P.K.A. Web Forms), as they have a lot of nuances that don't seem to work when I want them to. As such, I'm not as familiar with this setup.. it could be that "submitting" an Advanced Form considers that record complete, but it sounds more like a bug to me. Some of the community experts may be able to speak more to it here.

There is not, and has been one of my biggest gripes. There are blogs out there recommending ways of querying for specific Web Form Step IDs (Advanced Form Steps?) to jump navigation, but I have not tried to implement them. For these reasons, I often come up with creative solutions using Basic Forms. This would also require some custom work, though.

How are you passing the value? Are you just changing the "value" attribute of the span? The form submit likely requires specific input setups, and when you set a field read-only at the server side then it often comes in as a completely different HTML element within the Portal. A couple of possible solutions:

1. Use JS to add your data and then "disable" the input on document ready
  2. Use Basic Form Metadata to add the class "hidden" to the element, then use JS on document ready to insert a span with the value on document ready
  3. Does the data need to be shown at all? If not, you can just put the field in a section and use CSS/JS to hide the section (or just hide that particular cell) so the users don't see it

Some of these can be done with some of the code snippets I've added here: Code Snippets | Justin Burch

Your Portal forms will match your Dataverse forms, so there's no easy way to change the look & feel of the "entityform" object. It comes as its own standard HTML setup (in other words, even if you have a Web Template with just an entity/web form, it'll come with HTML and libraries). You can always use JS libraries or customization to replace it (please ping me separately if you'd like to see an internal example of how much this can be utilized; just note it tends to be a lot of work!).

Thanks

I hope this helps!

Justin

nguhoa
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thanks Justin for your detail answer and sharing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (2,271)