cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D365_Eric
Helper IV
Helper IV

PowerApps Portal: Migrate portal configuration using Configuration Migration Tool

Hello Community,

I have a custom PowerApps portal created and linked to a Dynamics 365 dev environment. I follow the Microsoft article below to use the Configuration Migration Tool to export the portal configuration from the source (D365 dev environment) for importing into the target (D365 production environment).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/admin/migrate-portal-configuration

I followed all the instructions from the article above, including using the custom portal schema file. After the export is completed, I notice on the export screen of the Configuration Migration Tool it says 30 entities have been exported.

I am curious as to why it would export that many entities in this case, because I am definitely not using 30 entities for the portal. I assume it's including other entities in the D365 dev environment? I just want to be sure when I import this export file into the target D365 production environment it won't cause unnecessary problems or accidentally overwrite other unintended entities? My expectation is that the export file should only contain the components related to the custom portal.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I normally go for the same sequence as you mentioned there

but between D365 solutions or Portal records, it doesn't really matter the sequence

this is because the Portals stores everything as text and not lookups/entity reference

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
chleverenz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi @D365_Eric ,

as always, it depends 🙂 without really looking into portals, you have at least websites, webpages, content snippets, (site settings), page templates, web tempaltes, notes, attachments, webroles, entity permissions, entity forms, entity form metadata, webforms, entitylitsts, access control rules, website languages, (portal languages), web links, web link sets, site markers, the m-n relations between entity permissions and webroles (other m-n relations??)

these already make up more than half of the 30. If i look in the dynamics navigations, there are some more things (well, contacts should not be transported 🙂 ) so this number sounds reasonable.

I never used the configuration/migration tool but when it respects the ids (guids) of the entries there should be no problem of overwriting stuff.

Nevertheless: 

When we transport portalstuff there are things, we only transport initially. Especially site settings are in my opinion "site settings" which usually differ between systems. Some snippets may also be not great to transport, for example navbar left may be "test system" in one case and "mycompany" in the other system (but i think you have no choice to transport only specific entries)

Hope it helps and points in the right direction,

Christian

OliverRodrigues
Super User II
Super User II

I would recommend using the Portal Records Mover from XrmToolbox

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Oliver Rodrigues

Hi @chleverenz ,

Thanks for the details, much appreciated as always! 🙂

Hi @OliverRodrigues ,

Thank you for the recommendation! I will look into this option accordingly.

Hi @OliverRodrigues ,

In your experience when using the Portal Record Movers from XrmToolBox to migrate one PowerApps Portal solution/configurations  from one Dynamics 365 environment (source) to another Dynamics 365 environment (destination), would you know if the following sequence matters?

1. Provision portal app in the destination (portal URL in the destination will be different from the portal URL in the source)

2. Import related Dynamics 365 solution from source environment to destination environment

3. Export portal solution/configurations using Portal Record Movers from source environment and import to destination environment

Do I have the right sequence above, or the order of sequence doesn't matter?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I normally go for the same sequence as you mentioned there

but between D365 solutions or Portal records, it doesn't really matter the sequence

this is because the Portals stores everything as text and not lookups/entity reference

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,913)