cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Svintsitsky

PowerApps Portal - Performance Issue

Hello,

We created PowerApp portal on our tenant and it performs extremely slow. It is a Production portal and has Login capacity add-on license to allow External Authenticated users to access it.

PowerApps Portal is used as a shell where user can sign in and then is presented with different PowerBI reports embedded using PowerBI Embedded Service.

It take likes ~40 seconds to login and ~30seconds after clicking on the different reports in the menu. Obvious bottle neck might be the PowerBI Embedded instance as it is processing reports and it might take a long time BUT actually it take like 25 seconds just for PowerApps portal to process requests and only then PowerBI kicks in and presents report under 3-4 seconds.

We have a ticket opened with Microsoft for over a month and being told that our case is being escalated and Engineering team is working on it without any details or ETAs. Also they mentioned that this is a back end issue and there is nothing we can do to help.

At this point our Management Team is discussing/deciding  should we drop the PowerApp portal and start developing custom portal instead of using Microsoft PowerApps one...

Did anyone else experience performance issues with the PowerApps portal?

Any ideas/advises on what could we try/do?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @Svintsitsky

We are using exactly the same scenario with PowerBI embedded along with Role Level Security. I have done the performance test just to ensure how long it is taking before I write my reply.  I ran 3 times and the results are 12-17 secs maximum to load the PowerBI embedded . 

NB: Reports layout and rendering differs every time depends on who is logging in . Because Row Level security has been applied. 

1. To Increase Login performance time: You can configure Azure AD or Azure AD B2C or any oAuth/ OpenId to make it simplified. Once this is configured then browser will remember the authentication token and allow the users to sign in with single sign on. 

2. To increase Power BI report loading time:  You can perform all your calculation in ETL / data warehouse area instead of performing it in Power BI. Dataverse direct query is recently introduced link here .

Perhaps at this stage it may be slow, we can notify Microsoft to look in to this. In our reports are loaded in to SQL Data warehouse in Azure / Azure SQL database. 

Hope this give you some time to think on what is happening to other users. 

PS: Overall the performance is really improved and every wave release is there are significant changes Microsoft is deploying. 

Hope it helps. 

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Hello @ragavanrajan,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

1) We are using Azure AD B2C. Even when I am using my account(created on the tenant, not invited) I can enter username and password pretty quickly but after authentication, when I am presented with a "Stay signed in?" window and clicking Yes or No it takes ~20-30seconds to present home page of the PowerApps portal after authentication. Is this expected behavior? What are you seeing in terms of the sign in performance?

2) Thanks for pointing it out. Our reports do not have a lot of complex calculations/computations performed on the PowerBI level (at least yet), main goal is to present/visualize normalized data from Azure Table storages and CDS.

Are you using PowerApps portal in production? Based on your experience is a production ready? Meaning is it suitable for extensive usage by external users?

Thank you.

Hi @Svintsitsky , 

1) For option 1 I have rechecked the stay signed in option. For us it is taking hardly ~10 to 16 seconds max. Analyzed using Fiddler as well. No traffic is passing while signing in. you may need to try Fiddler to see what's happening.  Perhaps could you please check is there any firewall or proxy issues which is loading in your organization that is causing the slowness. I have done the test with many of my colleagues and the result is the same. 

2) As I mentioned already any calculation if you do it in ETL / Data warehouse area it would be better. You have only one option here which is to use the Dataverse direct query which you will experience certain delays. To implement lazy loading of the powerBI reports the only way is to use AZURE ETL.  

Caveat: There are some known issues as well as in my solution assigning automatic web roles via power automate will take at least 5 to 10 minutes to reflect the role or some one has to press the sync configuration button manually.  

There are some upside and downside, we have considered custom development and then powerapps portal. In many ways PowerApps Portal integration is much better than writing code for single page application development. It purely saves time and cost. We went live for external users and they are happy with the portal so far. 

Personally the product will mature in coming season as Microsoft is considering our request and improving it significantly. 

Hope it helps. 

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

vjakimov
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ragavanrajan ,

Out of those 12-17 secs for loading the PowerBI embedded, how much time does it take to:

• load the initial DOM
  • load the PBI iframe DOM
  • load the report inside the iframe

Thanks

Hi @Svintsitsky,

This was going to be my question to you, re: whether it was a Production instance. I've had the very issue you're describing with trial environments commonly, and occasionally with environments that weren't used as much. My assumption is probably based on the back-end setup of your portal: hosting location, app plan, maybe a competing resource, etc. It could be that the app is utilizing a cold start and the lack of use is why it's taking awhile. I'd trust the support team to figure it out!

One thing you could do to understand if the issue is Power BI or not is to test whether or not this occurs when you remove the Power BI embedding (if done via liquid in template, just wrap the report in {% comment %} {% endcomment %} tags. If it's easier to keep the Power BI, try to set another page/URL to require authentication and navigate there directly or, alternatively, construct your own - e.g. https://svintsitskysportal.powerappsportal.com/signin/?returnUrl=%2Fcustom-page%2F - to sign in and go to a page that doesn't contain a report.

Please note that while I have the employee tag, I don't work with the product group in any capacity, and this assumption is based solely on previous implementations. 🙂 

vjakimov
Frequent Visitor

I am sharing this to help the community in case others are having similar issues.

One of the bigger problems we had in our case was the following:

• We have added custom left menu in the header
  • The business logic for generating this menu was complex
  • We have used liquid tags which were joining multiple tables to get the needed data for the menu links
  • Looks like power apps is caching the header separately for each user since they can't know your business logic and they have to assume that the header might be different for each user
  • Because of the above, after each sign in, looks like power apps is recreating the cache of the header
  • Looks like until that cache is recreated, a redirect to your portal is not happening so you will never think that the problem is in your code since it looks like the sign in is still in progress
  • Also we were getting slow page loads now and then even when the power apps cache was still valid
  • So it looks like the header is sometimes being recreated even though the power apps cache is still valid

There are a lot of "looks like" above since we don't know how power apps works in the background and we can only assume based on what we have experienced.

Thank you @vjakimov  for sharing it. Really useful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (34,834)