cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Cullen
Frequent Visitor

PowerApps Portal with AD B2C enabled requires self registering users to redeem an invitation

Hi,

We have a PowerApps portal configured to use Azure Active Directory B2C as the only enabled identity provider. This identity provider is itself configured to allow users to self-register, as well as to log in to the Portal.

At present, users who attempt to self-register are not successfully registered in Dataverse - they are brought to the "Redeem Invitation" screen instead. However, they cannot complete registration as they never received an invitation code. As a result they are created in the Dataverse, but their accounts are locked.

The authentication settings on the Portal are as shown in the attached screenshot. Setting

Authentication/Registration/InvitationEnabled to false results in the user getting a message that "Registration is disabled" whenever he or she attempts to register, as per the attached screenshot. This doesn't make any sense to me. I have been attempting to resolve this for several days. How can I configure the portal so that users can self register successfully?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

I believe open registration should be enabled. I feel like I had a similar issue in the past where leaving local authentication disabled and then getting errors when redeeming invitation via Azure AD B2C, what I had to do was leaving local auth enabled but then add JS to the page (content snippet) and remove the local authentication controls.

hope this helps

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OliverRodrigues
Super User
Super User

I believe open registration should be enabled. I feel like I had a similar issue in the past where leaving local authentication disabled and then getting errors when redeeming invitation via Azure AD B2C, what I had to do was leaving local auth enabled but then add JS to the page (content snippet) and remove the local authentication controls.

hope this helps

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

Thanks - that worked! I had foolishly thought that the Open Registration setting applied only to local authentication. But in fact it seems to apply no matter which authentication mechanism is in use.

In our case we don't even need to hide the local authentication controls as we are setting the AD B2C option as the default mechanism, which means that we are not brought to the redemption page at all once Open Registration is enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Carousel News & Announcements 768460.png

What's New in the Community?

Check out the latest News & Events in the community!

MPP IDEAS updated 768x460.png

Ideas

Discover ideas and concepts from users like you for how to use Power Pages and take your work to the next level.

Users online (1,653)