cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skoofy5
Super User
Super User

PowerBi Integation

I've followed this to enable powerbi for my portal. https://www.alphabold.com/embedding-power-bi-dashboard-report-in-power-apps-portal/

I've noticed that the report is actually unsecured. I'd love to enable security around it, but I'm not sure how to achieve it as my portal contacts are associated to many clients. Is RLS achievable? Has anyone done something similar and able to point me in the right direction?

4 REPLIES 4
ragavanrajan
Super User
Super User

Hi @skoofy5 

The answer is yes it is 100% achievable. Powerapps portal is capable of showing only the clients are entitled to see via Portal WebRoles + Power BI RLS 

Here are the high-level steps for your reference: 

The steps are:

1. Create roles within the report
  2. Publish the report on the  workspace you like 
  3. Assign security groups to RLS
  4. Apply report permissions

In PowerApps Portal: 

1. Create relevant web roles according to your POWERBI Data tables 

2. Assign contact to relevant webroles 

3. In Portal Studio > Sync configuration > Browse website. 

Hope it helps. 
------------

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

How do I create a role I can apply to the viewing portal contact dynamically? I imagine I would somehow need to pass through the contact ID? The other side to this that I'm also seeking assistance is how to create the PowerBi role that can take that contact ID and ensure they're in that 1:M relationship.

Hi @skoofy5 ,

Even I have voted that idea long back which you have shared. But we have achieved it by creating roles in PowerBI and applied RLS. In Portal,  we have assigned appropriate web roles. 

Note: You need to use Power BI desktop 

1. Create roles within the report

Open the report on Power BI Desktop.
On the top menu, select Modelling, then Manage Roles.

ragavanrajan_0-1627524563054.png

Create a role called "All users"
Create one role for each active table in Tables, naming them with the proper name you like  as displayed below

ragavanrajan_1-1627524798520.png

For the Role, All Contracts, simply leave it with no filters.

For the roles <Other Tables>, set up a filter on your other table, pointing to that table name.
Make sure the contract name typed in the filter matches the contract name in the table.

Apply the same filter for all other tables on the list.
Click Save.

ragavanrajan_2-1627525068439.png

Important step: 

2. Assign security groups to RLS

Open Power BI Service (https://app.powerbi.com/ )
In the workspace, click datasets + dataflows
Select the report
Open the 3 dots menu on the right-hand side of the report
Select Security

Over each role, Create and include the AD group that contains the external users (Clients, Partners) for that specific contract. Repeat the same for every table.

ragavanrajan_3-1627525434352.png

Then the final step will be allow the user to sign in to your Portal. Once signed in they have to sign out 

Then In portal management 

1. Click contacts > Find the external contact > Add Existing web role and assign appropriate web role. 

I have detailed as much as I can.  In a nutshell, it is working properly so far for us. 

Hope it helps. 
------------

If you like this post, give it a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users to find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (1,496)