cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Redeem Invitation functionality doubt & Confirmation for external sign in authentication

Hi Experts,

I was going through the below article to understand how Redeem Invitation works:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/portals/configure/invite-contacts

I have a requirement where in the portal, external tenant Microsoft users will log in. But the client is asking to use Redeem invitation functionality to send the invitation to all the portal users.

But as per my understanding from the article, it says that all the contact records need to be present and then select those contact records for which you want to send the redeem invitation.

But if users are going to use the External Microsoft Signin button then how we can send the Redeem invitation. because there will be no contact records will be available unless and until users register themself using an external Microsoft account.

Please suggest me you though on this requirement.

Thanks,

Amit

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Redeem Invitation functionality doubt & Confirmation for external sign in authentication

Hi @AmitSah,

The main idea behind the invitation is to be able to invite contact from your system to the portal and if needed to perform an additional action on invitation redemption. If your client wants to send emails/invitations to the portal users doesn't that mean that they already exist in some form in the system? Can you tell what exactly you would like to achieve by sending the invitation?

----------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful consider marking it as a solution to help others find it.
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Re: Redeem Invitation functionality doubt & Confirmation for external sign in authentication

Hi @AmitSah,

As @OOlashyn mentioned, the invite contact process is just that - "I want to invite someone I am aware of but may not have a Portal account." It would work regardless of the authentication component. If users navigate to the portal on their own and sign in, yes, they'd be able to register - if you need to block this, consider setting the Site Setting "Authentication/Registration/RequiresInvitation" to "TRUE".

If this doesn't work, the best method is to use the Redeem Invitation process to assign Web Roles that aren't supplied when a user registers on their own. Then, if they register via the Sign In button, a Contact record will be created and the client team can still use the invitation process to fully invite them. You can also filter the contacts who need invite vs those who don't by something as simple as having a custom field (e.g. "Invite Redeemed") on a view, and have the Invite Redemption process set this value to "True".

Highlighted

If you have the setting for invitation being required, then this also applies to Azure users, so you create a Contact for the internal user and then send them an Invitation, when they register they choose the Azure button (this associates the Azure identity with the Contact record)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (7,048)