Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yoggieb
Level: Powered On

Sample Architecture for Portal Design

Hi,

I am new to Power Apps Portal. I am looking for sample design architecture to guide my development.

Portal connects only to Common Data Service, and there is a size limit for CDS. How should I design the data flows between CDS and an on-premise SQL server?

Appreciate guidance on how I start my development journey. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Satish-Reddy
Level 8

Re: Sample Architecture for Portal Design

There are many ways of importing data into CDS. There is an excellent article on importing data into CDS.

https://www.inogic.com/blog/2019/02/import-data-in-cds-common-data-service/

You can directly import data from SQL Server also. Follow the above article. However, it uses CSV as a data source. 

You need to be careful while mapping columns of a table as attributes of CDS Entity. In CDS, we can each table as an Entity. Also, dependency entities can be mapped through Lookups.

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Re: Sample Architecture for Portal Design

Hi  

Do you mean you want to know how to import SQL to CDS?

please refer to the following steps:

1. Create a new dataflow

2. Select 'SQL server database' under 'Database' tab

3. Configure the SQL server database connection, enter SQL server and database name, select pre-installed On-premises data gateway, and enter the SQL Authentication info.

4. Select the table you want to import and do some query

5. Choose 'Load to new entity', select the Primary name field and set its type to Text.

6. Choose Refresh manually

7. The entity will be generated after a moment

Hope this helps.

SikSnipaste_2020-02-19_17-23-00.pngSnipaste_2020-02-19_17-16-16.pngSnipaste_2020-02-19_17-18-13.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (7,550)