Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Sending Emails from Portals

Hi,

How do I configure the workflow to send invitation emails? I saw some references on modifying processes under Dynamics. However, I am not able to find the steps in Dynamics. Alternatively, can I create a new flow for invitations rather than try to modify the existing processes?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

I recommend getting familiar with Dynamics 365 as you go customizing the Portals, I know it should be an independent app, but at this moment it is not, and you still need D365 knowledge if you want to go for more advanced Portal stuff

Go to make.powerapps.com --> solutions --> create your own solution there (you might need to export/import to different environments in the future) --> add existing components such as Invitation workflow (even if you don't want to use it, you need to know whats in the underneath)

Currently Flows via PowerAutomate run only in Async mode, while within D365 they can run either Sync/Async, so depending on what you need you will still have to run via D365

Take a look at the workflow definition, feel free to deactivate and make a few changes (if this is your only environment I would recommend doing this on a trial first)

also take a look at this to find more information on D365 workflows: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customerengagement/on-premises/customize/workflow-proce...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

One of the best features of the Power Platform Portal is that it is integrated tightly with a large list of functions and features (1000s and choices 1000s). Thousands upon thousands, but the disadvantage is that you need to understand what the options are and what works for your users and needs. 

When it comes to e-mail you can leverage the power of "Server Side Sync" which is the integration between Power Portal and the Full Microsoft Exchange Server environment. Wow, Configuration (such as mailboxes for the system accounts to send system mail) and/or licensed user mailboxes so they can send mail without using outlook. 

Another option is to look into using Power Automate to send mails using the integration to the Office 365 suite. This is really more about the shift from a world where we have office 365 and different business applications to the world of Microsoft 365. 

So Option 1: Read up on configuring the Server Side Sync. 

a) Settings : Configure Mail area (there are a number of configurations needed, (no code) but helps understand ALL the pieces. I would give you exact menus, but they are moving things around so better to lean on DOCS (which is awesome) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/server-side-synchronization

Option 2: Power Automate (alias Flow) which you would need to trigger from your Power Portal. This might be easier configuration and a fun way to learn (no code, low code) flow. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/

Highlighted

I would start with Power Automate .. but

One of the best features of the Power Platform Portal is that it is integrated tightly with a large list of functions and features (1000s and choices 1000s). Thousands upon thousands, but the disadvantage is that you need to understand what the options are and what works for your users and needs. 

When it comes to e-mail you can leverage the power of "Server Side Sync" which is the integration between Power Portal and the Full Microsoft Exchange Server environment. Wow, Configuration (such as mailboxes for the system accounts to send system mail) and/or licensed user mailboxes so they can send mail without using outlook. 

Another option is to look into using Power Automate to send mails using the integration to the Office 365 suite. This is really more about the shift from a world where we have office 365 and different business applications to the world of Microsoft 365. 

So Option 1: Read up on configuring the Server Side Sync. 

a) Settings : Configure Mail area (there are a number of configurations needed, (no code) but helps understand ALL the pieces. I would give you exact menus, but they are moving things around so better to lean on DOCS (which is awesome) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/server-side-synchronization

Option 2: Power Automate (alias Flow) which you would need to trigger from your Power Portal. This might be easier configuration and a fun way to learn (no code, low code) flow. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/

Highlighted

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I was able to find the "Send Invitation" workflow. However, I am unable to modify the workflow. There was a message that said I cannot directly edit components in a managed solution. I am not quite sure what this means. Can any of you explain?

I was able to create a new flow using PowerAutomate to replicate the "Send Invitation" workflow. This method works for me now.

Highlighted

you can't edit components within a managed solution, but you can create your own solution and add the component, then you will be able to modify it

Go to make.powerapps.com --> solutions --> create your own solution there (you might need to export/import to different environments in the future) --> add existing components such as Invitation workflow (even if you don't want to use it, you need to know whats in the underneath)

------------

Power Apps Portals Super User

Oliver Rodrigues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Users online (10,193)